Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

which LINUX should I take?

chrvosschrvoss Member Posts: 28
I have a server at home, I choosed LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP),
but I don't know which Linux (SUSE, RedHat, ManDrake, etc.) I should take and where I get it.

Comments

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : I have a server at home, I choosed LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP),
    : but I don't know which Linux (SUSE, RedHat, ManDrake, etc.) I should take and where I get it.
    :

My personal preferance is RedHat. I've found the install to be fairly straightforward, and easy, and it runs well. If can't download the ISO's then you could head over to cheapbytes.com and pick up the Pink Tie Linux cds That's the cheapest source of linux cd's I've found. couple dollars for the CD's plus 5 shipping. Pink Tie Linux is basically a renamed RedHat (trademark issues...)

Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

• Null and VoidNull and Void Member Posts: 1,202
    For a server I'd honestly suggest a less easy-to-use but more simplistic distro. I would suggest one with an automated package management system also. Debian takes a day or two to get most new releases into the unstable branch, so you might want to try something like Sorceror or Gentoo (which compile everything from source on your system, but automate the process). Or, if you don't care for the package management stuff, try Slackware.

Garwain's post has more information about actually obtaining the distro.
  • BoloaokoeBoloaokoe Member Posts: 7
    I found the cheapest way to get redhat...though im sure its somewhat unethical...go to your local public library...they will carry the latest redhat book which includes all the software you would want including partitioning and red hat itself.
    cheers
    boloaokoe
    : I found the cheapest way to get redhat...[blue]though im sure its somewhat
    : unethical[/blue]...go to your local public library...they will carry the latest
    : redhat book which includes all the software you would want including
    : partitioning and red hat itself.

Red Hat is available for free download, so that doesn't seem bad at all.
  • BoloaokoeBoloaokoe Member Posts: 7
    : : I found the cheapest way to get redhat...[blue]though im sure its somewhat
    : : unethical[/blue]...go to your local public library...they will carry the latest
    : : redhat book which includes all the software you would want including
    : : partitioning and red hat itself.
    :
    : Red Hat is available for free download, so that doesn't seem bad at all.
    :
    that is really impressive that it is free for download...so how does redhat and others make their money?
    : that is really impressive that it is free for download...so how does
    : redhat and others make their money?

If you want support, you have to pay for it (this is important for corporate usage, so you can blame someone if something doesn't work ;)). If you want a boxed set with manuals, you pay for their work and materials (this also saves you the effort of downloading and burning the ISO's). If you have a good experience with the distro, go buy a boxed set in the future to show your support :).
  • XfactorXfactor Member Posts: 343
    : I have a server at home, I choosed LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP),
    : but I don't know which Linux (SUSE, RedHat, ManDrake, etc.) I should take and where I get it.
    :
    Here are a couple of sites that might help you out.
    http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/
    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1266/2/
  • DariusDarius Member Posts: 1,666
    : : that is really impressive that it is free for download...so how does
    : : redhat and others make their money?

Ouch.

Check out www.fsf.org.

Specifically, http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/free-sw.html.

Not only is it not unethical for you to copy the RedHat CD, they ENCOURAGE YOU TO and are legally bound to allow you to.

"We can't do nothing and think someone else will make it right."
    -Kyoto Now, Bad Religion

• jeweljewel Member Posts: 52
    : : I have a server at home, I choosed LAMP(Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP),
    : : but I don't know which Linux (SUSE, RedHat, ManDrake, etc.) I should take and where I get it.
    : :
    : Here are a couple of sites that might help you out.
    : http://www.linuxlinks.com/Distributions/
    : http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/1266/2/
    :

garwin: redhat is released under the GPL General Public License, so you're wrong, anyone can sell Redhat, without beeing blamed for war*ez or trademark problems. and about 50% of Redhat's budget goes to the free software foundation etc etc... www.gnu.org read and wipe :P

:)

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297

: garwin: redhat is released under the GPL General Public License, so you're wrong, anyone can sell Redhat, without beeing blamed for war*ez or trademark problems. and about 50% of Redhat's budget goes to the free software foundation etc etc... www.gnu.org read and wipe :P

first of all, there is an A in my name ;)

the software is GPL, but the name is a trademark.

And while I'm replying to one of your messages, let me say welcome to the forum.
    Ben Martin :-D
    programmer