Basic DirectX8 'shell' for Windows Programming - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Basic DirectX8 'shell' for Windows Programming

Hi,

Its been a long time, but I am getting back into windows programming.

I was wondering if anybody knows of a basic shell for getting started?

The sort of thing I am looking for is just a simple window app with the standard menus and dialogs that initialises a DX8 app ready to render stuff. Registry registration & install/uninstall wizard is something I am interested in too.

Once I have a basic 'shell' I plan to archive and use it as the 'starting blocks' for my apps.

I'm using Visual Studio 6, under XP pro.

Regards,
Spurtus.

Comments

• aritostelesaritosteles Posts: 10Member
    Have you installed DirectX 8.1 SDK? You can download it from Microsoft's site. It comes with quite a few samples and source code you can use.
    I guess you'll have to make your own shell, because all the initialization you have to do depends on what part of DirectX you want to use (DirectX Audio, Direct Input, Direct Play, DirectX Graphics, DirectShow...).

Bye