Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

SQL Server compatability with XP Professional

ronironi Member Posts: 4
I'm new at this and only trying to learn. If I purchase the SQL Server 2000 for my home office can I run SQL in server mode on my Dell (500mb 40gb) notebook on it's XP Professional operating system?

Also, I assume when an application reuires a SQL Data File it loads it into memory, opens it and closes it while still in memory. The file is returned to disk at the close of the application. Is this correct?

Comments

• japlhajaplha Member Posts: 12
    : I'm new at this and only trying to learn. If I purchase the SQL Server 2000 for my home office can I run SQL in server mode on my Dell (500mb 40gb) notebook on it's XP Professional operating system?
    :
    : Also, I assume when an application reuires a SQL Data File it loads it into memory, opens it and closes it while still in memory. The file is returned to disk at the close of the application. Is this correct?
    :
    :
    :
    SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition will run on XP Pro. If you want to check out all of the system requirements go to http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp.

SQL Server runs a service. Any database files will be open while the service is running whether any external application is accessing the database or not. SQL Server will cache any data queried or modified into RAM. The amount of RAM it uses can be configured.
  • ronironi Member Posts: 4
    : : I'm new at this and only trying to learn. If I purchase the SQL Server 2000 for my home office can I run SQL in server mode on my Dell (500mb 40gb) notebook on it's XP Professional operating system?
    : :
    : : Also, I assume when an application reuires a SQL Data File it loads it into memory, opens it and closes it while still in memory. The file is returned to disk at the close of the application. Is this correct?
    : SQL Server 2000 Personal Edition will run on XP Pro. If you want to check out all of the system requirements go to http://www.microsoft.com/sql/evaluation/sysreqs/2000/default.asp.
    :
    : SQL Server runs a service. Any database files will be open while the service is running whether any external application is accessing the database or not. SQL Server will cache any data queried or modified into RAM. The amount of RAM it uses can be configured.
    :
    Thanks for your help... Ron
  • Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

_____ | http://forcoder.org | free video tutorials and ebooks about / Assembly, Visual Basic .NET, Java, Scratch, Go, R, C, PL/SQL, C++, MATLAB, Delphi, JavaScript, Ruby, Swift, Objective-C, C#, Perl, PHP, Visual Basic, Python VBScript, SAS, Lua, Ada, LabVIEW, F#, ABAP, Rust, Dart, Clojure, Lisp, ML, Logo, Hack, Julia, Awk, Apex, COBOL, Fortran, Kotlin, Erlang, D, FoxPro, Transact-SQL, Scheme, Alice, Scala, Crystal, Prolog, Bash / _____