Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Where do I begin?

Where should I begin learning about how to code embedded software for electronic devices? I wan't to be able to write code that controls machinery and robotics, preferably in Java, but I don't know where to start. I know some about electronics, but not much. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Fish_ManFish_Man Member Posts: 5
    : Where should I begin learning about how to code embedded software for electronic devices? I wan't to be able to write code that controls machinery and robotics, preferably in Java, but I don't know where to start. I know some about electronics, but not much. Any suggestions?
    :
    Hey Mike,
    I'm not aware of how prevalent Java is as far as embedded programming. I do know that C, assembly language and sometimes C++ are used for embedded applications.

A really good introductory chip to learn about the inner workings of a processor is the (now antique) Intel 8085. Check it out! Pretty cool stuff.

Fish man
  • Josh CodeJosh Code Member Posts: 675
    Eventually you should learn assembly but I wouldn't recommend it to a newbie. You should start by learning either c++ or Java. The languages are similar so it should be quite easy to move from one to another. C++ usually allows you to mix assembly into your code so it makes learning assembly quite easy.

: Where should I begin learning about how to code embedded software for electronic devices? I wan't to be able to write code that controls machinery and robotics, preferably in Java, but I don't know where to start. I know some about electronics, but not much. Any suggestions?
    :

• josefjosef Member Posts: 37
    How about using the PIC range of microcontrollers, although you need access to a programmer. See www.microchip.com where you will find plenty of application notes and other useful info. These chips are programmed in assembler using free development software or can be programmed in C using suitable compile.
    The basic chip is the 16F84 which uses EEPROM therefore no UV erasure required.
    FLASH PROM also a useful feature on the higher range of chips
    and Pulse Width modulation outputs so motors can be driven through a motor driver chip.

:

• Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

______ \ http://forcoder.org \ free ebooks and video tutorials about // Go R PL/SQL JavaScript Swift Python C Assembly C++ Ruby MATLAB Visual Basic Scratch Visual Basic .NET Delphi Perl PHP C# Objective-C Java Bash F# Alice LabVIEW Kotlin ML Lisp D Transact-SQL Lua Rust Dart Crystal ABAP Fortran FoxPro Ada Scheme Logo SAS Erlang Julia Scala Awk VBScript Clojure Apex Prolog COBOL Hack // _______