Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

I NEED HELP! I want to start programming, but don't know what I need.

GaminDaveGaminDave Posts: 2Member
I need help. I want to start programming, but I don't know how or what I need. What should I do? Thanks, gamindave

Comments

• baobao Posts: 13Member
    : I need help. I want to start programming, but I don't know how or what I need. What should I do? Thanks, gamindave
    :
    :
    you need a 1-on-1 tutor. a friend who knows alot or only a little. either or both would be great as long as he/she isn't arrogant

• melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    : I need help. I want to start programming, but I don't know how or what I need. What should I do? Thanks, gamindave
    :
    :

Hi Dave!

There are a number of ways to learn programming: books, classes tutors, hands-on. I like to read a tutorial book first, to get an overview of what it's all about.

Then, I like to read someone's code, and translate it line-by-line, to make sure I understand what's going on.

Finally, with a good reference book on hand, I try a small project, referring to the reference as needed for syntax.

This method has worked well for me in the past, in languages such as Fortran, Basic, Visual Basic, etc.

I have no patience for classroom and/or tutor sessions. I like to zoom along at my own lightning pace, and just get annoyed waiting for others in the group to catch up. So, the above method works best for me.

As for what you need? Well, GWBASIC as shipped with DOS will work, even on Windows 95/98/ME, and Windows NT. You should be able to find GWBASIC books in any library, as well as used book stores and used computer stores.

If you don't have a version of GWBASIC, you might also check the resources above, as well as any grade-school or high school computer department.

Have fun!

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• danesbensendanesbensen Posts: 10Member
    :

First you need a programming language. For free you can download:

http://www.ttinet.com/sheerpower

This is a BASIC-based language that is fun to use and learn and has a great online manual with LOTS of complete-program examples! Coding errors are automatically highlighted and it is FAST!!
  • VB5begginnerVB5begginner Posts: 66Member
    just get QBasic 1.0 with all the samples that used to come with it from Microsoft...thats how i learned...looking through the code that they made and trying new stuff.. (and wearing out my F1 button)...i bought some manuals, but i dont like readin (plus when i tried readin them, i kept wanting to DO...not read)...so i've never made it past the second page of a manual...the best way to learn (for me) is to "Learn by Example" (the only manual i bought that ever had any value to me)...the reason this book helped me so much was that it came with a cd full of examples...i didnt even look at the book...its just the examples that have helped me...good luck...
  • VB5begginnerVB5begginner Posts: 66Member
    here...ill give you some quick example commands for QBasic also...

To make the program say "Hey"
    [code]PRINT "Hey"[/code]

To make the program ask your name
    [code]INPUT "What's your name?",UserName$[/code]

To see if X is greater than 10
    [code]IF X>10 THEN...[/code]

To see if X$ is the same as "test"
    [code]IF X$="test" THEN...[/code]

this brings me to a point...variables are how data is stored in basic...in the 2 directly above X and X$ are used...generally in QBasic a variable without a $ sign behind it is used to signify a number...and a variable with a $ sign is used to signify a string...so

To set X equal to 11 and X$ equal to "test"
    [code]X=11
    X$="test"[/code]

To set and check values
    [code]X=11
    X$="test"
    IF X>10 THEN PRINT "X is greater than 10"
    if X<10 THEN PRINT "X is less than 10"
    IF X$="test" then PRINT "X=test"
    IF NOT X$="test" then PRINT "X=" + X$
    X=9
    X$="example"
    IF X>10 THEN PRINT "X is greater than 10"
    if X<10 THEN PRINT "X is less than 10"
    IF X$="test" then PRINT "X=test"
    IF NOT X$="test" then PRINT "X=" + X$
    [/code]
    The output of this example will be like this:
    [b]X is greater than 10
    X=test
    X is less than 10
    X=example[/b]

To clear the screen
    [code]CLS[/code]

To ask a user his name and then say hello in green
    [code]INPUT "What's your name?",UserName$
    COLOR 2
    PRINT "Hello, "+UserName$[/code]

(Using the ; symbol is more standard in seperating parts of a PRINT statement, but im used to using the + symbol, because it can be used in seperating parts of variables also)

The COLOR command changes the color of the statement that will be shown...the number behind it is a number that determins which color will be shown...just mess around with numbers behind it (up to 15 on the normal SCREEN, so dont go higher than 15 until you get more advanced...i think numbers past 15 might actually blink or somethin like that on the normal SCREEN...just mess around)

i hope that helps you get started...you will need a version of BASIC to run those statements...old versions may not work with COLOR and stuff like that...i suggest QBasic 1.0 to start with (which is old, but not as old as something like GWBasic)...good luck