Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

On a 486?

MatthewDMatthewD Member Posts: 297
Hi,

I just received a free (discarded) computer w/an Intel 486, 12MB of RAM and a 550MB harddrive. It does not have a CD rom drive. Currently Windows95 is installed and runs.

Is this enough to actually get Linux up and running?

What's the easiest way for me to get a distribution on to the machine (since it's lacking the CD rom drive)?

Is there a distribution that's better suited to older machines?

Any other advice?

Thanks,
Matthew.

Comments

• Null and VoidNull and Void Member Posts: 1,202
    That's a good enough machine (by far) as long as you don't try to make it do too much. I mean, don't one of those new 'desktop' distro's or a eye candy oriented WM. But, since you have no CDROM drive, that probably isn't an issue =P.

I've heard a lot about Tiny Linux (http://tiny.seul.org/), which might be too small even. But, take a look at it (it can be installed from a floppy).

I don't know if Debian can be placed on a floppy, but Debian can do a network install if you have a fast connection or a lot of time.
  • vasialekvasialek Member Posts: 56
    : Hi,
    : I just received a free (discarded) computer w/an Intel 486, 12MB of RAM and a 550MB harddrive. It does not have a CD rom drive. Currently Windows95 is installed and runs.

I think the only thing u nedd to make it running better is RAM. 1,5 years ago, we had fileserver on 1486DX66 with 16Mb of RAM & it serves for 4-7 computers without any problem. Even I managed to play mp3 from it :)

: Is this enough to actually get Linux up and running?

I would recomend u Slackware 7.1 it is very stable, has no GNOME & KDE, & u could install it on 400-450Mb... With Samba, FTP, MC, gcc...

Lekha
  • gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Hi,

On a side note - as long as you leave out X and a lot of X packages you probably will be able to get most linux distributions installed. 550MB is pretty small so you have to be very selective with your software here. Also you need to keep in mind a little space you require for your work. Just in case you do not have access to floppy installation, you could try to just take the hard disk to another system which has CD support and install it on the hard disk.

: : Hi,
    : : I just received a free (discarded) computer w/an Intel 486, 12MB of RAM and a 550MB harddrive. It does not have a CD rom drive. Currently Windows95 is installed and runs.
    :
    : I think the only thing u nedd to make it running better is RAM. 1,5 years ago, we had fileserver on 1486DX66 with 16Mb of RAM & it serves for 4-7 computers without any problem. Even I managed to play mp3 from it :)
    :
    : : Is this enough to actually get Linux up and running?
    :
    : I would recomend u Slackware 7.1 it is very stable, has no GNOME & KDE, & u could install it on 400-450Mb... With Samba, FTP, MC, gcc...
    :
    : Lekha
    :

• vasialekvasialek Member Posts: 56
    : On a side note - as long as you leave out X and a lot of X packages you probably will be able to get most linux distributions installed. 550MB is pretty small so you have to be very selective with your software here. Also you need to keep in mind a little space you require for your work.

I think, that right now he could use it for learning Linux, after it is always easy to plug other HDD, even 120Gb :)

Lekha