Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005) Unspecified error

carlo_carlo_ Posts: 11Member
Why do I get this kind of error message: Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005) Unspecified error?

I think the problem is on my computer settings but I don't know which causes this problem. I tried running the ASP sample of IIS 5.0 documentation and it gives the same error message with the ASP page I made. I also tried running the ASP page on another computer and it was able to run the page without any error. So I think the problem is in my computer settings.
Here are the things I've done but didn't solve the problem:
1.) Uninstall the MS Office and then installed it back.
2.) Uninstall the IIS and then install it back.
3.) Uninstall the MDAC 2.6 w/ SP1 and then install it back.
I also went to the Microsoft Support page to find solutions for this error. But I still wasn't able to solve the problem. I tried to follow the instructions given at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q253604 to solve this problem. I even tried the sample in the end of the page but all things didn't work for me.
This is all I can think that would solve the problem but all this solutions didn't work. Do you have any idea on how to do this?
Thanks.

Comments

• StPatrickStPatrick Posts: 76Member
    First post here the code that caused the error and point at line inside it. How can someone help if he doesn't see the code? :)

[b][italic]Philip Patrick[/italic][/b]
    [b]Home page[/b]: http://www.stpworks.com
    [size=1][italic]"Two beer or not two beer?"[/italic] [b]Shakesbeer[/b][/size]

• carlo_carlo_ Posts: 11Member
    I was using the sample code of IIS documentation that uses database connectivity. I think it is on the settings of my computer but I don't know what I will do to correct this problem.

Anyway, I'll just post the IIS documentation sample code.

<%@ LANGUAGE = VBScript %>
    <% Option Explicit %>

Simple ADO Query

Simple ADO Query with ASP

Contacts within the Authors Database:

<%
    Dim oConn
    Dim oRs
    Dim filePath
    Dim Index

' Map authors database to physical path
    filePath = Server.MapPath("authors.mdb")

' Create ADO Connection Component to connect
    ' with sample database

Set oConn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & filePath

' Execute a SQL query and store the results
    ' within recordset

Set oRs = oConn.Execute("SELECT * From authors")
    %>

<%
    Do while (Not oRs.eof) %>

<% For Index=0 to (oRs.fields.count-1) %>

<% Next %>

<% oRs.MoveNext
    Loop
    %>

<% = oRs(Index)%>

<%
    oRs.close
    oConn.close
    %>

This codes gives the 80004005 error when I ran this on my computer. But if I try this code on another computer, it would only work.

: First post here the code that caused the error and point at line inside it. How can someone help if he doesn't see the code? :)
    :
    : [b][italic]Philip Patrick[/italic][/b]
    : [b]Home page[/b]: http://www.stpworks.com
    : [size=1][italic]"Two beer or not two beer?"[/italic] [b]Shakesbeer[/b][/size]
    :
    :

So what line the code fizzles? I see many places that can lead to error. Like the database doesn't exist (or not in the SAME directory where the .asp file is), or you have no Jet 4.0 installed on your computer (maybe older version?), or even you don't have ADO installed on your computer :)
    Try to find the line that causes the error by removing code line by line from ASP file and running and running it again, untill you get something else or no error.

Actually, when the error message appear where it shows:

--------------------
    Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    Open the terminal03 home page, and then look for links to the information you want
    --------------------

I would click on the terminal03(terminal03 is my computer name) and the Windows 2000 Internet Service welcome note would appear. And a popup of the IIS 5.0 documentation would appear. But after I would click the back button, the ASP page I made wouldn't give any error. So I think it must only be on the settings cause it would still run even without changing anything on the code.

The error usually appear when the open or execute of the dataconnection is made. How will I know if Jet 4.0 is installed? I tried making an application on visual basic with Jet 4.0 and it didn't have any error. Even the ASP page would still run as long as I click on Terminal03 then press the back button. I also tried running the code I posted on another computer and it was able to run flawlessly. I think it must not be on the code but on the computer settings. But I don't know what causes this to appear.

: So what line the code fizzles? I see many places that can lead to error. Like the database doesn't exist (or not in the SAME directory where the .asp file is), or you have no Jet 4.0 installed on your computer (maybe older version?), or even you don't have ADO installed on your computer :)
    : Try to find the line that causes the error by removing code line by line from ASP file and running and running it again, untill you get something else or no error.
    :
    :
    :

right, it is somewhere in setting, but the CODE gives an error, so you have to look up in the code WHERE it fails.
    If you will make a simple page with Response.Write "Hello world" it will work? If you open a connection and then close it without doing nothing it will work? You HAVE to try to understand WHAT fails

If it's just an ordinary ASP page without a database connectivity, there won't be any error. The error would appear if the recordset or connection is open. That's where the error would appear. The code:
    oConn.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" & filePath
    is where the error would appear.

: right, it is somewhere in setting, but the CODE gives an error, so you have to look up in the code WHERE it fails.
    : If you will make a simple page with Response.Write "Hello world" it will work? If you open a connection and then close it without doing nothing it will work? You HAVE to try to understand WHAT fails
    :
    :
    :

• pridipridi Posts: 1Member
    Hello,

Though this thread has been very old, i'm posting mine of the same error, but of different error message. Here it is...

Technical Information (for support personnel)

* Error Type:
    Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
    Unspecified error
    /ConnectData.asp, line 25

I tried opening ConnectData.asp...

dim db

Application("db_path")=Request.ServerVariables("APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH")&"data
    eservationsystem.mdb"
    Application("path")=Request.ServerVariables("APPL_PHYSICAL_PATH")&"data
    eservationsystem"
    db="Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data source= "&Application("db_path")
    set Application("connect")=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Application("connect").connectiontimeout=1800
    Server.ScriptTimeout=1800
    Application("connect").open db
    set Application("rec")=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
    Application("cnt")=0
    Application("cnt2")=0

Wherein Line 25 is this, Application("connect").open db

I tried other solutions posted in this site but none of them solves the problem. Hoping for your replies, thanks!!!