Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

well structured program

rossifumirossifumi Posts: 2Member
What is meant by a well structured c program? Why is it important that a program should be well structured. Has anyone got any good links that can answer my questions ? Or can anyone answer them?
Many Thanks,

rossifumi

Comments

• Ruud CoppensRuud Coppens Posts: 13Member
    A well structured program is a program which does not only work, but is readable for other programmers and easy to add new functionality to it, without changing the whole code.

To structure your code in a good way you can use several simple rules
    - choose your names right (the name should already say where the function or variable is used for. (thus not t = 5, but for better idx = 5 which says that the variable is used for indexing)
    - do not make your functions to big. This makes them unreadable
    - do not use loops in loops in loops or the same with if statements.
    (this also makes the function unreadable) better make new small functions for them
    - when you programm with classes, structuring your programm is much more difficult, because really complex structures can be made with classes

greetings ruud

: What is meant by a well structured c program? Why is it important that a program should be well structured. Has anyone got any good links that can answer my questions ? Or can anyone answer them?
    : Many Thanks,
    :
    : rossifumi
    :

• rossifumirossifumi Posts: 2Member
    Ruud, 1 more please, I have an exam coming up and I am working through some practice questions, hope you don't mind.

'Why is it important that a program should be well structured'.

Is this the same answer as in my first question?

Many Thanks

Rich

: A well structured program is a program which does not only work, but is readable for other programmers and easy to add new functionality to it, without changing the whole code.
    :
    : To structure your code in a good way you can use several simple rules
    : - choose your names right (the name should already say where the function or variable is used for. (thus not t = 5, but for better idx = 5 which says that the variable is used for indexing)
    : - do not make your functions to big. This makes them unreadable
    : - do not use loops in loops in loops or the same with if statements.
    : (this also makes the function unreadable) better make new small functions for them
    : - when you programm with classes, structuring your programm is much more difficult, because really complex structures can be made with classes
    :
    : greetings ruud
    :
    : : What is meant by a well structured c program? Why is it important that a program should be well structured. Has anyone got any good links that can answer my questions ? Or can anyone answer them?
    : : Many Thanks,
    : :
    : : rossifumi
    :
    :
    :
    :

the answer is that a programm should be well structured for a few reasons

- a well structured program is easier to understand for people
    who reads the program for the first time
    - it costs less time to make changes to a well structured program
    (so at long time it is more efficient). Because the overview on the whole program is better.
    In a not well structured program this can be very hard

At this moment I don't know more reasons. But it is just as all the other things in live. Why do we structure them? To become a better overview of the whole amount of information. And due to the better overview we do things faster and with less errors. (just think why you have a schedule for school)

but what kind of school are you doing?

: Ruud, 1 more please, I have an exam coming up and I am working through some practice questions, hope you don't mind.
    :
    : 'Why is it important that a program should be well structured'.
    :
    : Is this the same answer as in my first question?
    :
    : Many Thanks
    :
    : Rich
    :
    :
    :
    : : A well structured program is a program which does not only work, but is readable for other programmers and easy to add new functionality to it, without changing the whole code.
    : : To structure your code in a good way you can use several simple rules
    : : - choose your names right (the name should already say where the function or variable is used for. (thus not t = 5, but for better idx = 5 which says that the variable is used for indexing)
    : : - do not make your functions to big. This makes them unreadable
    : : - do not use loops in loops in loops or the same with if statements.
    : : (this also makes the function unreadable) better make new small functions for them
    : : - when you programm with classes, structuring your programm is much more difficult, because really complex structures can be made with classes
    : : greetings ruud
    : : : What is meant by a well structured c program? Why is it important that a program should be well structured. Has anyone got any good links that can answer my questions ? Or can anyone answer them?
    : : : Many Thanks,
    : : :
    : : : rossifumi
    :
    :

the answer is that a programm should be well structured for a few reasons

- a well structured program is easier to understand for people
    who reads the program for the first time
    - it costs less time to make changes to a well structured program
    (so at long time it is more efficient). Because the overview on the whole program is better.
    In a not well structured program this can be very hard

At this moment I don't know more reasons. But it is just as all the other things in live. Why do we structure them? To become a better overview of the whole amount of information. And due to the better overview we do things faster and with less errors. (just think why you have a schedule for school)

but what kind of school are you doing?

: Ruud, 1 more please, I have an exam coming up and I am working through some practice questions, hope you don't mind.
    :
    : 'Why is it important that a program should be well structured'.
    :
    : Is this the same answer as in my first question?
    :
    : Many Thanks
    :
    : Rich
    :
    :
    :
    : : A well structured program is a program which does not only work, but is readable for other programmers and easy to add new functionality to it, without changing the whole code.
    : : To structure your code in a good way you can use several simple rules
    : : - choose your names right (the name should already say where the function or variable is used for. (thus not t = 5, but for better idx = 5 which says that the variable is used for indexing)
    : : - do not make your functions to big. This makes them unreadable
    : : - do not use loops in loops in loops or the same with if statements.
    : : (this also makes the function unreadable) better make new small functions for them
    : : - when you programm with classes, structuring your programm is much more difficult, because really complex structures can be made with classes
    : : greetings ruud
    : : : What is meant by a well structured c program? Why is it important that a program should be well structured. Has anyone got any good links that can answer my questions ? Or can anyone answer them?
    : : : Many Thanks,
    : : : rossifumi
    :
    :