Getting Into The Industry - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Getting Into The Industry

I have a question for those of you who are in the programming/game industry or who have completed college with a computer related degree. I am a second year college student majoring in computer science. I love programming and spend most of my free time doing so. I have always wanted to design video games. Call it a childhood dream. Ever since I was about thirteen I tried learning about programming, graphics design, etc. I'm curious. What can I do that will ultimatley help me in getting into the industry? What do I need to be learning here on my free time while I still have it? I've been learning C++,Java, and am working on a few "little" game projects to get me rolling, but I still have not ventured to DirectX or OpenGL and other higher demanding API's. I'm taking all the computer science courses I can, however, my school does not offer a whole lot of "gaming" courses and I'm pretty much teaching myself. What do I need to expect after graduating? I was just kind of curious what some of you had experienced in this and wondering what to expect. I live in Oklahoma, and I realize that I will probably have to relocate. I've thought about starting a company here, but I'm not all sure what that entails. Anyway, any input that some of you veterans have would be greatly appreciated and a great interest to me. Thank you for your time.
--------------------------------------------
Jordan - "MeshArtist"
"Ever saint has a past and every sinner has a future."

Comments

• jon_241jon_241 Posts: 45Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-6-9 17:34:16[/red][/b][hr]
    Take a look at this site, www.gameinstitute.com.

There you will find a lot of courses on the hot topics in game programming. They could help you.

I have not done any of them myself as yet, but I hope to within the next 12 months.

Also on that site there are links to other commendable resources at the bottom of the main page.

Good luck!

Jon.
  • MeshArtistMeshArtist Posts: 37Member
    : [b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-6-9 17:34:16[/red][/b][hr]
    : Take a look at this site, www.gameinstitute.com.
    :
    : There you will find a lot of courses on the hot topics in game programming. They could help you.
    :
    : I have not done any of them myself as yet, but I hope to within the next 12 months.
    :
    : Also on that site there are links to other commendable resources at the bottom of the main page.
    :
    : Good luck!
    :
    : Jon.
    :

Hey, thanks for the link. That looks like a great site. I find that very helpful.

Jordan - "MeshArtist"
    "Ever saint has a past and every sinner has a future."

• jon_241jon_241 Posts: 45Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-6-10 5:30:7[/red][/b][hr]
    No problem.

Also, a site I regularly visit, www.gametutorials.com.

There is so much info out there, you wonder if you'll ever take it in!

Jon.

• socket3dsocket3d Posts: 42Member
    i know direct3D and openGL, you can learn both, they're easy, im making 3d videogames halflife style, directX has everything to make a good game, what i need right know is an artist, who can give me some characters or ideas to make the game, because im only coder. email me at [email protected] if you're interested
  • Karl007Karl007 Posts: 27Member
    If you wanna be a programmer. Choose artist ! LOL

Roam the web. Lucky generation nearly every spearhead technology available with tons of docs and useful content.

Try try try. Work hard. Try to get higher and deeper sight. Do not simply cut and paste here and there.

Be good at maths specially linear algebra. To me there will be more and more maths in the code of the hi tech games.