Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

calling a function

harpharp Member Posts: 3
hi,
i'm creating a web browser using asp. This page has to have a link on it that grabs information from a database server on MS-SQL.

In the database I have created a stored procedure which i will call in the web page scripts. The stored procedure is a query where i have declared a start date and end date, and then i set both start and end dates to what i need and execute the stored procedure in SQL Query Analyzer. However, these dates have to now be changed by the user.

What the query does is give me a list of items in descending order from a specific date range. The user has to select (from the web page) what the start and end dates will be and how many items they want displayed.

QUESTION: How do I link this to the web browser so that when the user enters this criteria it will grab that particular query but only change the dates and how many items (i need a synatx for this to) are selected and then display the results?

i hope this is clear. thanks

Comments

• AstroZombieAstroZombie Member Posts: 39
    : hi,
    : i'm creating a web browser using asp. This page has to have a link on it that grabs information from a database server on MS-SQL.
    :
    : In the database I have created a stored procedure which i will call in the web page scripts. The stored procedure is a query where i have declared a start date and end date, and then i set both start and end dates to what i need and execute the stored procedure in SQL Query Analyzer. However, these dates have to now be changed by the user.
    :
    : What the query does is give me a list of items in descending order from a specific date range. The user has to select (from the web page) what the start and end dates will be and how many items they want displayed.
    :
    : QUESTION: How do I link this to the web browser so that when the user enters this criteria it will grab that particular query but only change the dates and how many items (i need a synatx for this to) are selected and then display the results?
    :
    : i hope this is clear. thanks
    :
    Have you looked at the article on this site called 'Pass that parameter over here'? http://programmersheaven.com/zone18/articles/article618.htm
  • harpharp Member Posts: 3
    : : hi,
    : : i'm creating a web browser using asp. This page has to have a link on it that grabs information from a database server on MS-SQL.
    : :
    : : In the database I have created a stored procedure which i will call in the web page scripts. The stored procedure is a query where i have declared a start date and end date, and then i set both start and end dates to what i need and execute the stored procedure in SQL Query Analyzer. However, these dates have to now be changed by the user.
    : : What the query does is give me a list of items in descending order from a specific date range. The user has to select (from the web page) what the start and end dates will be and how many items they want displayed.
    : : QUESTION: How do I link this to the web browser so that when the user enters this criteria it will grab that particular query but only change the dates and how many items (i need a synatx for this to) are selected and then display the results?
    : : i hope this is clear. thanks
    : Have you looked at the article on this site called 'Pass that parameter over here'? http://programmersheaven.com/zone18/articles/article618.htm
    :
    The article helps but, it doesn't tell me what to do if i want to send a parameter called start date and end date to my stored proc but i want the value to be entered by the user on the web page.
    I don't want to set that value in the script as done in the article (ex. CA). The value that the user enters for the state should be passed as a parameter to my stored procedure.
    Could this be done by replacing the strState = "CA" as strStartDate = "the field name of the Start Date text box in asp"?
  • Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

______ || http://forcoder.org || free video tutorials and ebooks about [ C, C#, MATLAB, Scratch, C++, Python, JavaScript, Ruby, Swift, PL/SQL, Perl, Visual Basic, Go, Visual Basic .NET, Assembly, R, Delphi, PHP, Java, Objective-C Transact-SQL, VBScript, Lua, Lisp, F#, Erlang, ABAP, COBOL, Rust, Scheme, ML, Fortran, D, Apex, SAS, Kotlin, Logo, Crystal, Dart, FoxPro, Alice, Ada, Julia, Awk, Clojure, Scala, Prolog, Bash, Hack, LabVIEW ] ____