Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

can not login on run level 3

mubsmubs Member Posts: 1
Hi all
My linux 7.1 system has started giving me a problem today.
My machine starts in text mode by default and I can not logon to the system.
I give the user name and press enter; Instead of asking me the password, it goes back to login prompt.
I can log on to the system remotely from another machine via ssh. I connected through ssh and changed the default run-level to 5 in /etc/inittab file. Then I restarted the machine and observed this:

1. After changing the run-level, the system tries to start sendmail service at startup and takes a long time. Before I changed the run-level, the sendmail service never started. It was disabled in ntsysv

2. After runlevel is changed to 5, the machine boots into the graphical mode and I can log on.

I tried to revert the run-level to 3 and it started giving the same problem again.

Please help me; if someone knows what's wrong with it and how to solve it? Is it a virus?

Please email me on mubashir@xybermoguls.com

Thanks
Mubs

Comments

• wosiiiwosiii Member Posts: 1
    : Hi all
    : My linux 7.1 system has started giving me a problem today.
    : My machine starts in text mode by default and I can not logon to the system.
    : I give the user name and press enter; Instead of asking me the password, it goes back to login prompt.
    : I can log on to the system remotely from another machine via ssh. I connected through ssh and changed the default run-level to 5 in /etc/inittab file. Then I restarted the machine and observed this:
    :
    : 1. After changing the run-level, the system tries to start sendmail service at startup and takes a long time. Before I changed the run-level, the sendmail service never started. It was disabled in ntsysv
    :
    : 2. After runlevel is changed to 5, the machine boots into the graphical mode and I can log on.
    :
    : I tried to revert the run-level to 3 and it started giving the same problem again.
    :
    : Please help me; if someone knows what's wrong with it and how to solve it? Is it a virus?
    :
    : Please email me on mubashir@xybermoguls.com
    :
    : Thanks
    : Mubs
    :

Although this is OT for this list, you want to look at the /etc/passwd file and make sure that a shell is listed at the end of the line that has your username.

-- Bill