Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

What exacly does it take to interface a device with the pc?

I would just like to know what is required to make a robot, for example, and make it animate by the computer. When I say robot I mean just a very basic device that would move an armature or turn a motor. What programming language would be best, and whats the pros and cons of using USB or Parallel ports. This is just something I would like to know a little about, I don't even think I will be able to do it any time soon, but maybe it would be interesting to know how.

MnM

Comments

• somelosersomeloser Member Posts: 2
    Umm, when I said USB or Parallel port I meant to say USB or serial port...
  • HylsanHylsan Member Posts: 11
    : Umm, when I said USB or Parallel port I meant to say USB or serial port...
    :

hum..why not the parallel port??

/Hylsan

• marktj000marktj000 Member Posts: 6
    : I would just like to know what is required to make a robot, for example, and make it animate by the computer. When I say robot I mean just a very basic device that would move an armature or turn a motor. What programming language would be best, and whats the pros and cons of using USB or Parallel ports. This is just something I would like to know a little about, I don't even think I will be able to do it any time soon, but maybe it would be interesting to know how.
    :
    :
    : MnM
    :
    :
    I was able to use a assembly language to do this, you can do the same with C++ with calls within your C++ program.
  • marktj000marktj000 Member Posts: 6
    : I would just like to know what is required to make a robot, for example, and make it animate by the computer. When I say robot I mean just a very basic device that would move an armature or turn a motor. What programming language would be best, and whats the pros and cons of using USB or Parallel ports. This is just something I would like to know a little about, I don't even think I will be able to do it any time soon, but maybe it would be interesting to know how.
    :
    :
    :
    :
    I was able to use a assembly language to do this, you can do the same with C++ with calls within your C++ program.
  • Noddy_SANoddy_SA Member Posts: 6
    : Umm, when I said USB or Parallel port I meant to say USB or serial port...
    :
    Well I have used all three quite easily. The USB must have some quite complicated electronics. The serial allows you 3bit comms strait out, so you can control 3 servo-motors and a relay or solinoid.
    The parallel port can give you 8 bit comms. So you will be able to control 4 servos without any fancy electronics. A simple current amplifier on each of the bits of H378 will do some wonders. and can drive a small current relay straight off. And H379 can be read to sense switches etc.
    Cheers and fun
    Noddy

• hexpartakohexpartako Member Posts: 3
    If you want to connect it to the serial port you can use a PIC for converting the data from serial to parallel and can controll 8 bits or more, o use the parallel port and use the 8 bits. Any way y tou want to make a hardware to interface some circuir i recomend to use some transistor, 2n2222 for example or any other, so you if there is any failure in the circuit you made it will not cause any dammage to your PC.

I recommend you to use C++ to program your robot, for me it's the best...

:
    :
    :
    :

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

__ \ http://forcoder.org \ free video tutorials and ebooks about ( Visual Basic .NET Ruby Scratch Swift PL/SQL Visual Basic MATLAB PHP Perl C++ Python R Delphi Java Go Objective-C C Assembly JavaScript C# Ada Fortran FoxPro Lisp F# Awk ML Transact-SQL Dart COBOL Prolog Apex SAS Lua Julia Logo Erlang VBScript Clojure Rust LabVIEW Hack Kotlin Scheme ABAP Alice D Bash Crystal Scala ) ____