Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

graphix

mlavennemlavenne Posts: 5Member
hi

I'm running the slackware distrib. and svgalib doesn't work. I mean the basic programs on the svgalib man page don't even work on my system.

I would really like to know what I have to hack/recompile/upgrade/do to get this working since I am porting a graphical application on linux.

It sorts of annoys me that those basic tests are crashing (segmentation fault,...). Of course, it's not a right access perm problem, I tried as root. still not working.

Does anybody have an idea here ?

thanks
max

Comments

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Hi,

I haven't had much trouble with SVGALIB when I used it before - didn't use it much though. Maybe you should debug and see why its segfaulting.

May I suggest you use Opengl or SDL or Xlib or use something like gtk or QT for porting - could be much simpler to do so.

: hi
    :
    : I'm running the slackware distrib. and svgalib doesn't work. I mean the basic programs on the svgalib man page don't even work on my system.
    :
    : I would really like to know what I have to hack/recompile/upgrade/do to get this working since I am porting a graphical application on linux.
    :
    : It sorts of annoys me that those basic tests are crashing (segmentation fault,...). Of course, it's not a right access perm problem, I tried as root. still not working.
    :
    : Does anybody have an idea here ?
    :
    : thanks
    : max
    :

• mlavennemlavenne Posts: 5Member
    hi,

thanks for replying

well, all I basically need is to load a picture, be able to draw points and lines, get mouse coordinates and button status, keyboard non blocking input, text outputing.

I've a special module for these functions, so it's really a little work to do.

how do I use xlib (i don't have its manpage, I've already been looking before). I've heard of GTK, but I've no idea on how to use it. any tips ?

what's QT ? is Opengl on any distribution or do I have to get it from somewhere on the web ?

thanks.

: Hi,
    :
    : I haven't had much trouble with SVGALIB when I used it before - didn't use it much though. Maybe you should debug and see why its segfaulting.
    :
    : May I suggest you use Opengl or SDL or Xlib or use something like gtk or QT for porting - could be much simpler to do so.
    :
    : : hi
    : :
    : : I'm running the slackware distrib. and svgalib doesn't work. I mean the basic programs on the svgalib man page don't even work on my system.
    : : I would really like to know what I have to hack/recompile/upgrade/do to get this working since I am porting a graphical application on linux.
    : : It sorts of annoys me that those basic tests are crashing (segmentation fault,...). Of course, it's not a right access perm problem, I tried as root. still not working.
    : : Does anybody have an idea here ?
    : : thanks
    : : max
    :
    :

• gautamgautam Posts: 642Member
    Hi,

Regarding GTK - www.gtk.org - it could be just what you want.

Regarding Opengl - it should be available with most Linux distribution -either as software rendering - with mesa or hardware acceleration with the respective video card drivers. Actually with what you want to do, by using Opengl its very easy but it seems like an overkill.

Regarding QT - www.trolltech.com

Well regarding Xlib, I haven't seen some very good tutorials but I did find a good link a few days back :-
    http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue78/tougher.html

: hi,
    :
    : thanks for replying
    :
    : well, all I basically need is to load a picture, be able to draw points and lines, get mouse coordinates and button status, keyboard non blocking input, text outputing.
    :
    : I've a special module for these functions, so it's really a little work to do.
    :
    : how do I use xlib (i don't have its manpage, I've already been looking before). I've heard of GTK, but I've no idea on how to use it. any tips ?
    :
    : what's QT ? is Opengl on any distribution or do I have to get it from somewhere on the web ?
    :
    : thanks.
    :
    : : Hi,
    : : I haven't had much trouble with SVGALIB when I used it before - didn't use it much though. Maybe you should debug and see why its segfaulting.
    : : May I suggest you use Opengl or SDL or Xlib or use something like gtk or QT for porting - could be much simpler to do so.
    : : : hi
    : : :
    : : : I'm running the slackware distrib. and svgalib doesn't work. I mean the basic programs on the svgalib man page don't even work on my system.
    : : : I would really like to know what I have to hack/recompile/upgrade/do to get this working since I am porting a graphical application on linux.
    : : : It sorts of annoys me that those basic tests are crashing (segmentation fault,...). Of course, it's not a right access perm problem, I tried as root. still not working.
    : : : Does anybody have an idea here ?
    : : : thanks
    : : : max
    :
    :

• mlavennemlavenne Posts: 5Member
    hi

well, QT's commercial :(

and I don't know why but GTK binary links are down. So, I looked up the Xlib link and it seems to be exactly what I wanted for linux so far.

Actually, I'll probably integrate GTK functions later on, because I don't need it yet for beta testing.

thanks a lot, that was a good piece of advice! :)

max

: Hi,
    :
    : Regarding GTK - www.gtk.org - it could be just what you want.
    :
    : Regarding Opengl - it should be available with most Linux distribution -either as software rendering - with mesa or hardware acceleration with the respective video card drivers. Actually with what you want to do, by using Opengl its very easy but it seems like an overkill.
    :
    : Regarding QT - www.trolltech.com
    :
    : Well regarding Xlib, I haven't seen some very good tutorials but I did find a good link a few days back :-
    : http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue78/tougher.html
    :