Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

(New to linux) I know this is a programming forum but I have a general

hea_hgahea_hga Member Posts: 28
question. I just switched over to Red Hat Linux 7.2 and I'm having a stupid problem. Whenever I click on an .exe file the KDE doesn't do anything. Actually it changes the title bar in their Explorer to the file path but it won't execute it. I've tried multiple files. The PDF's I had on the CD worked though. I do have root privledges. I also went into the properties and if I read it right I should be able to execute the files. Is there something else I need to do? Also does anyone know any good general linux forums and shell prompt tutorials?

Comments

• jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    : question. I just switched over to Red Hat Linux 7.2 and I'm having a stupid problem. Whenever I click on an .exe file the KDE doesn't do anything.

That's because .exe is a DOS/Windows executable, not a Linux executable.

: Actually it changes the title bar in their Explorer to the file path but it won't execute it. I've tried multiple files. The PDF's I had on the CD worked though. I do have root privledges.

Danger, Will Robinson! Don't log in as root unless you absolutely have to.

: I also went into the properties and if I read it right I should be able to execute the files. Is there something else I need to do? Also does anyone know any good general linux forums and shell prompt tutorials?
    :
    Try www.linuxtoday.com.

• hea_hgahea_hga Member Posts: 28
    Is there a way I can use executables at all with linux? Why shouldn't I log in as root? The reason I did was whenever I tried to run anything under the default account it told me I needed root privledges to access it. I constantly had to enter the password. I eventually switched the other account into the root directory but is this any better?

: : question. I just switched over to Red Hat Linux 7.2 and I'm having a stupid problem. Whenever I click on an .exe file the KDE doesn't do anything.
    :
    : That's because .exe is a DOS/Windows executable, not a Linux executable.
    :
    : : Actually it changes the title bar in their Explorer to the file path but it won't execute it. I've tried multiple files. The PDF's I had on the CD worked though. I do have root privledges.
    :
    : Danger, Will Robinson! Don't log in as root unless you absolutely have to.
    :
    : : I also went into the properties and if I read it right I should be able to execute the files. Is there something else I need to do? Also does anyone know any good general linux forums and shell prompt tutorials?
    : :
    : Try www.linuxtoday.com.
    :
    :

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Thought I had answered this post - maybe power failure or something screwed my post.

Anyway you can use "wine" to run windows executable in linux. Linux has its own executables for you to run too :) hehe, they are just not something.exe

Ahh regarding root - it feels so nice to have the power of root but then you can delete almost anything - modify critical files without knowing what you might be doing - so to be on safer side - DO NOT RUN AS ROOT.

Regarding entering password - this is only necessary if you sort of need root privileged access - like by default mount, shutdown, reboot, halt etc needs root - however you can specify certain important commands that a user can use - maybe you might need to "man sudo".

: Is there a way I can use executables at all with linux? Why shouldn't I log in as root? The reason I did was whenever I tried to run anything under the default account it told me I needed root privledges to access it. I constantly had to enter the password. I eventually switched the other account into the root directory but is this any better?
    :
    : : : question. I just switched over to Red Hat Linux 7.2 and I'm having a stupid problem. Whenever I click on an .exe file the KDE doesn't do anything.
    : : That's because .exe is a DOS/Windows executable, not a Linux executable.
    : : : Actually it changes the title bar in their Explorer to the file path but it won't execute it. I've tried multiple files. The PDF's I had on the CD worked though. I do have root privledges.
    : : Danger, Will Robinson! Don't log in as root unless you absolutely have to.
    : : : I also went into the properties and if I read it right I should be able to execute the files. Is there something else I need to do? Also does anyone know any good general linux forums and shell prompt tutorials?
    : : :
    : : Try www.linuxtoday.com.
    :
    :

• garwaingarwain Member Posts: 297
    : Is there a way I can use executables at all with linux?
    Wine (available at http://winehq.org/) is getting better. I won't support every program yet but it works for most apps that I've tried.

:Why shouldn't I log in as root
    Simply, the root has access to everything, so root can screw anything up. If you were to type "rm - rf" DON'T DO THAT!!! from the root folder ( / ) you could say goodby to your entire OS, data, and your windows os as well if you have one and it's mounted...

Any change you make as root has the potential to mess up something of importance.

Ben Martin :-D
    programmer

• jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    :
    : :Why shouldn't I log in as root
    : Simply, the root has access to everything, so root can screw anything up. If you were to type "rm - rf" DON'T DO THAT!!! from the root folder ( / ) you could say goodby to your entire OS, data, and your windows os as well if you have one and it's mounted...
    :
    : Any change you make as root has the potential to mess up something of importance.
    :
    : Ben Martin :-D
    : programmer
    :
    In addition to royally mucking up the system, if you get on the internet while logged in as root, you become as vulnerable as Windoze machines.

• Andre YoungAndre Young USAMember Posts: 0

___ || http://forcoder.org || free video tutorials and ebooks about < JavaScript, Visual Basic .NET, Python, C++, Scratch, Objective-C, PHP, Visual Basic, Swift, PL/SQL, Ruby, MATLAB, R, Delphi, C#, Perl, Assembly, Go, C, Java F#, Clojure, COBOL, D, Apex, Logo, Rust, ABAP, Alice, Scala, ML, Julia, Awk, VBScript, Bash, Ada, Crystal, Transact-SQL, FoxPro, Kotlin, Fortran, Erlang, Hack, Scheme, Lua, LabVIEW, Dart, Lisp, Prolog, SAS /> _________