How do I set a background picture in a dialog box ? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

How do I set a background picture in a dialog box ?

chris666chris666 Posts: 71Member
All is in the subject. I have a dialog-based MFC application and I can't figure out how to set a background picture in a box, I tried the picture control, but all other controls remain under the picture, and are invisible. Thanks in advance for those who have a solution.

Comments

• Liam27Liam27 Posts: 5Member
    : All is in the subject. I have a dialog-based MFC application and I can't figure out how to set a background picture in a box, I tried the picture control, but all other controls remain under the picture, and are invisible. Thanks in advance for those who have a solution.
    :

There are a few steps in setting a .bmp as a background for a window (works for frame windows too btw). You have to load the .bmp into a device context then draw that .bmp to the window. The problem is that you need the paint device context of the window (CPaintDC) and you can't load a bitmap to it. What you have to do is make a 'memory DC' based on the CDC class, then copy one to the other.

Here is the code that you can put in your "OnPaint" function:

void CDialogNameDlg::OnPaint()
    {
    CBitmap bitmap; //bitmap object to hold your bitmap
    bitmap.LoadBitmap(IDB_BITMAPID); // IDB_BITMAPID is the id of bmp

CPaintDC dc(this); //device context of dialog box
    CDC mem_dc; // memory device context

mem_dc.CreateCompatibleDC(&dc); // makes compatible with CPaintDC
    mem_dc.SelectObject(bitmap); // Selects bitmap into CDC
    dc.BitBlt(0,0,dlg_len,dlg_wid, &mem_dc, 0, 0, SRCCOPY);
    // Above code copies bmp to dialog box bit by bit
    }

Hope this helps :)

• chris666chris666 Posts: 71Member
    Thanks Liam,
    Your code works fine, where did you learn to do such a thing ? that's cool. But the problem is, some controls, like Static text, are not "transparent" and they leave a big gray ugly rect. Do you have an idea to solve this ?

Chris
  • Elias_AEElias_AE Posts: 6Member
    To make a control transparent, use the OnCtlColor to trap the WM_CTLCOLOR message. In OnCtlColor you can change the DeviceContext, (one of the arguments) so the control will use a transparent background. Use the SetBkMode memberfunction of the CDC.[code]
    pDC->SetBkMode(TRANSPARENT);
    [/code]You can get more info in this article from Microsoft:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q117778