connecting to MsAccess and Querying DB ? - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

connecting to MsAccess and Querying DB ?

jsgjsg Posts: 2Member
I'll try to make this quick:

I'm building a estimating website where businesses register and a business email address(along with other info) is gathered by a form and inserted into an msaccess database. This I can do w/ Frontpage and the database wizards easily, I suppose. Next, when a user selects certain companies to ask a bid from they select checkboxes and when form is submitted it goes into a text csv file. This file contains the unique id's for each company selected on the form. What I need to do is query the access database using the company id gathered by the form and match it the corresponding company id in the access database and get the email addresses of the companies selected. Then once having company email addresses I need to send an email to companies choosen thus sending the users service request to each company he/she selected. My problem is that I'm fairly new to connecting to databases..etc and don't know what language to use... ASP, javascript ..etc As soon as the users submits the request all the above should happen immediately in one process in the background. What the best lang. to interface to my access database and to write a query (SQL) to get the emails address for each company selected ? any help would be great..just need general direction... I have connect to my database using straight java2 (jdbc-odbc driver) but don't know how to incorporate this into my page. I think using ASP or javascript...though ASP seems to be mentioned more with database connections ? any help is greatly appreciated !!!!!!

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 2,914Member
    [b][red]This message was edited by the Moderator at 2002-5-2 9:45:46[/red][/b][hr]
    Hi,

Yes, I think you will need to be using ASP. I haven't tried doing anything like this before, but I know SQL so I can help write the query if that is any help, though you may be able to work that bit out. It's just establishing the connection in the first place...

You can write ASP in a number of languages - VBScript and JScript are the most common, I believe. I've only used it in VBScript myself, but use whatever you're comfortable with. To make an ASP file just take a HTML page and then you can put in ASP blocks of code between <% and %> tags. E.G.

[code]

<% Response.Write "Hello world" %>

[/code]

Hope this helps somewhat... :)

Jonathan

: I'll try to make this quick:
    :
    : I'm building a estimating website where businesses register and a business email address(along with other info) is gathered by a form and inserted into an msaccess database. This I can do w/ Frontpage and the database wizards easily, I suppose. Next, when a user selects certain companies to ask a bid from they select checkboxes and when form is submitted it goes into a text csv file. This file contains the unique id's for each company selected on the form. What I need to do is query the access database using the company id gathered by the form and match it the corresponding company id in the access database and get the email addresses of the companies selected. Then once having company email addresses I need to send an email to companies choosen thus sending the users service request to each company he/she selected. My problem is that I'm fairly new to connecting to databases..etc and don't know what language to use... ASP, javascript ..etc As soon as the users submits the request all the above should happen immediately in one process in the background. What the best lang. to interface to my access database and to write a query (SQL) to get the emails address for each company selected ? any help would be great..just need general direction... I have connect to my database using straight java2 (jdbc-odbc driver) but don't know how to incorporate this into my page. I think using ASP or javascript...though ASP seems to be mentioned more with database connections ? any help is greatly appreciated !!!!!!
    :

------------------------------------------
    Count downloads from your site for free!
    http://www.downloadcounter.com/