TI calcs (and Macs) - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

TI calcs (and Macs)

blipblip Posts: 756Member
Hi all. I'm pretty good at Z80 asm programming (I think...) and I'm learning 68k programming. Me and my bro want to write lots of software (such as games) for the calculators and eventually see if we can create a network over FM radio in an unused band. This will be used to allow our friends and others to be able to chat, read, and stuff like that. I know this seems far-fetched, but we'll have _*ALL*_ summer to do it. Anyway, I hope I can write two versions: a Z80 version for 73s to 86s and a 68k version for 89s and up. I've already written a compatibility macro for the Z80s that will allow it to access its variables, etc. no matter which calc it's running on, whether it's running in TI-OS or an asm shell, and where it is in memory. Also, the macro will let you use it in another device using a Z80, but some versions of it use the index registers and those aren't in cheap Z80 clones for Game Goys 'n stuff.

BTW: I have a 68030 in a Mac (it says MC68030RL16B) and I just want to know everything that specific CPU can do. Ex. Can it do protected mode? If so, how do I program it and how does it work?

Comments

• CytCyt Posts: 557Member
    : BTW: I have a 68030 in a Mac (it says MC68030RL16B) and I just want
    : to know everything that specific CPU can do.

Then you'd better look it up.

http://e-www.motorola.com/brdata/PDFDB/docs/MC68EC030TS.pdf

And they put those in calculators? Good God! I have an accelerator board in my Amiga 1200 that has this CPU. With the help of the custom Amiga chips, it is actually capable of doing realtime 3D graphics with 25 FPS running at 160x100x256 (Clock Frq: 40 MHz). This just to say that I think that you'll be able to do your project with it with any problems whatsoever (regarding CPU power!)
  • blipblip Posts: 756Member
    Actually the Z80s in the calcs are 6MHz and the 68ks are 10MHz and sometimes 12MHz, depending when you got it.
  • blipblip Posts: 756Member
    Thanx for the doc, it's just what I needed! You see, I'm going to desauder and experiment with the Mac's processor, probably over a computer's IDE channel at first!