Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Netscape

jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
This is perhaps a bit off-topic, but I sure could use some advice. I use Red Hat 7.2 with an older version of Netscape. I downloaded version 6.2, but when I run netscape-installer, it goes part way through and then aborts with a "broken pipe" message. Apparently Netscape has no method for contacting them. Has anyone managed to get version 6.2 to work with Red Hat?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Null and VoidNull and Void Member Posts: 1,202
    Can I ask why Mozilla isn't good enough for you ;)? It's primarily the same code base behind Netscape 6, after all. I'm using Debian, but I'll try installing Netscape 6 anyway in a minute, so that I have the slightest chance of offering any real help.
    Sorry, I can't get it to produce any errors. I guess I'm not so useful after all =P.
  • jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    : Sorry, I can't get it to produce any errors. I guess I'm not so useful after all =P.
    :
    Thanks for the reply, but it doesn't help much. I run Red Hat 7.2. I downloaded the tar.gz file, did all the normal stuff, ran the netscape-installer program, and part way through, it came up with the "broken pipe" error message.

I'll check out Mozilla. The only reason I wanted to run netscape is that, although Konqueror is better in most ways, it still isn't able to handle some of the stuff that netscape can deal with (.swf files for one). However, some web sites complain that I'm using an old version of netscape.

Did you run the netscape-installer program?

[b][red]This message was edited by the Null and Void at 2002-4-14 0:55:9[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'll check out Mozilla. The only reason I wanted to run netscape is
    : that, although Konqueror is better in most ways, it still isn't able to
    : handle some of the stuff that netscape can deal with (.swf files for
    : one). However, some web sites complain that I'm using an old version of
    : netscape.
    Mozilla and Netscape use the same plug-in interface, so the plug-ins are interchangable. To go on a tangent: the Opera browser also uses the Netscape plug-in interface. Netscape 6.22 looked exactly like Mozilla did a couple of monthes ago (like I said, it's the same code base). If the new Netscape would work (it does, I can view swf files fine in Mozilla and Opera), then you can assume that Mozilla does too.

: Did you run the netscape-installer program?
    Yup. It looked a lot like the Mozilla installer (which might be a bad thing for you, if it has the same issues).

• jeffpostjeffpost Member Posts: 316
    [b][red]This message was edited by the Moderator at 2002-4-15 7:13:27[/red][/b][hr]
    :
    : Mozilla and Netscape use the same plug-in interface, so the plug-ins are interchangable. To go on a tangent: the Opera browser also uses the Netscape plug-in interface. Netscape 6.22 looked exactly like Mozilla did a couple of monthes ago (like I said, it's the same code base). If the new Netscape would work (it does, I can view swf files fine in Mozilla and Opera), then you can assume that Mozilla does too.
    :
    Ok, I got Mozilla. Seems to work ok except that I can't view .swf files (how are plug-ins set up?) and some really basic stuff doesn't work (I can't login to programmers heaven, for example--I'm doing this with Konqueror). Any advice will be appreciated.

I tried Opera some time ago, and trashed it immediately. It was sloooooow. Web pages that would load in seconds with other browsers literally took ten minutes or more to load with Opera.

: Ok, I got Mozilla. Seems to work ok except that I can't view .swf files
    : (how are plug-ins set up?) and some really basic stuff doesn't work (I
    : can't login to programmers heaven, for example--I'm doing this with
    : Konqueror). Any advice will be appreciated.
    Check Help->Plugins to see which plug-ins you have installed and enabled. If you don't have the SWF plugin, go get it from macromedia.com. Unpack the tarball and put its contents in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins, then restart Mozilla, and it should work. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to use this page with Mozilla (I am right now =P).

: I tried Opera some time ago, and trashed it immediately. It was
    : GawdAwful sloooooow. Web pages that would load in seconds with other
    : browsers literally took ten minutes or more to load with Opera. What a
    : POS!
    Something must have been wrong with your Opera setup. It's faster than any other browser I've ever used in most situations (faster than Konqueror, Mozilla, Galeon, Netscape, IE, et cetera). It can be slower if you have extreme tabling in the webpage, but I've only seen things like that in the speed tests themselves. I would always use Opera before a single page I visit often began using a feature of CSS 2.0 that it didn't support, so I now use Mozilla.