Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Crashing on shutting down interface eth0, any idea why?

jon_241jon_241 Member Posts: 45
[b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-4-8 13:59:20[/red][/b][hr]
I'm using Mandrake 8.1, any idea at all?

Its weird, cos my other comp has Mandrake 8.1 too, but doesnt do it! Maybe the different network cards? I have no other card to test though.

I could do with a quick solution instead of swapping the net cards around.

Comments

• SephirothSephiroth Fayetteville, NC, USAMember Posts: 1,035
    : [b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-4-8 13:59:20[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'm using Mandrake 8.1, any idea at all?
    :
    : Its weird, cos my other comp has Mandrake 8.1 too, but doesnt do it! Maybe the different network cards? I have no other card to test though.
    :
    : I could do with a quick solution instead of swapping the net cards around.
    :
    :
    :

I'm not as familiar with Mandrake as I am Slackware or RedHat, but the quick test would be to do just that; swap your nic's and see if that fixes it. However, I left Mandrake long ago due to some instabilities such as that, and it may just not support your nic without a manufacturer's driver. Check out the nic's manufacturer's site for a UNIX/Linux compatible driver.

-[italic][b][red]S[/red][purple]e[/purple][blue]p[/blue][green]h[/green][red]i[/red][purple]r[/purple][blue]o[/blue][green]t[/green][red]h[/red][/b][/italic]

• jon_241jon_241 Member Posts: 45
    [b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-4-9 5:23:57[/red][/b][hr]
    : I'm not as familiar with Mandrake as I am Slackware or RedHat, but the quick test would be to do just that; swap your nic's and see if that fixes it. However, I left Mandrake long ago due to some instabilities such as that, and it may just not support your nic without a manufacturer's driver. Check out the nic's manufacturer's site for a UNIX/Linux compatible driver.
    :

I spose I'd better. Even odder last night, as I shut the machine straight down and it was fine! But today when I did, it crashed again! I must be doing something and not realising it.

Maybe, the white box message (on its own, on the blank screen) that appears and disappears so quickly I don't have chance to read it. Maybe that message could give me a clue. Hmmmm.

• paladinpaladin Member Posts: 97
    : [b][red]This message was edited by the jon_241 at 2002-4-9 5:23:57[/red][/b][hr]
    : : I'm not as familiar with Mandrake as I am Slackware or RedHat, but the quick test would be to do just that; swap your nic's and see if that fixes it. However, I left Mandrake long ago due to some instabilities such as that, and it may just not support your nic without a manufacturer's driver. Check out the nic's manufacturer's site for a UNIX/Linux compatible driver.
    : :
    :
    : I spose I'd better. Even odder last night, as I shut the machine straight down and it was fine! But today when I did, it crashed again! I must be doing something and not realising it.
    :
    : Maybe, the white box message (on its own, on the blank screen) that appears and disappears so quickly I don't have chance to read it. Maybe that message could give me a clue. Hmmmm.
    :
    Could you run a shutdown command like shutdown -h -t secs now >>junk
    to dump your messages to a file for viewing later? Maybe there is something like dmesg to permit you to see the shutdown messages. Any ideas?

Paladin

How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and Microsoft?
    - Al Gore on Y2K

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    Logs are kept for looking into it. Maybe your message goes in the logs.

• paladinpaladin Member Posts: 97
    : Logs are kept for looking into it. Maybe your message goes in the logs.
    :
    :
    What are the good logs to get information out of anyway?

Paladin

How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and Microsoft?
    - Al Gore on Y2K

• gautamgautam Member Posts: 642
    These probably are highly distribution dependant. I only know about slackware.

Check the logs in /var/log/
    :
    : Logs are kept for looking into it. Maybe your message goes in the logs.
    : What are the good logs to get information out of anyway?
    :
    : Paladin
    :
    : How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and Microsoft?
    : - Al Gore on Y2K
    :
    :
    :
    :

• pgmr9pgmr9 Member Posts: 1
    : These probably are highly distribution dependant. I only know about slackware.
    :
    : Check the logs in /var/log/
    : : Logs are kept for looking into it. Maybe your message goes in the logs.
    : : :
    : : :
    : : What are the good logs to get information out of anyway?
    : : Paladin
    : : How could this be a problem in a country where we have Intel and Microsoft?
    : : - Al Gore on Y2K
    :
    :
    had the same thing happen to me,
    i went to control center
    then to boot
    then boot config
    unclicked launch Aurora
    shutdown it down (it crashed)
    rebooted
    its been 3 weeks and no crash

hope this helps
  • jon_241jon_241 Member Posts: 45
    : had the same thing happen to me,
    : i went to control center
    : then to boot
    : then boot config
    : unclicked launch Aurora
    : shutdown it down (it crashed)
    : rebooted
    : its been 3 weeks and no crash
    :
    : hope this helps

Solved! I did unclick Aurora, but it it still crashed, but on disconnecting the 2nd USB device! (My external WinTV box).
    The first one being my webcam.

It works fine now! Well, almost...

I now get this SIGSERV error every time I shutdown. Weird.