Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

IR Recieving with Parallel/Serial Port

Hello,
I am new to hardware, but am a decent programmer. Anyway, I would like to be able to create a simple setup using an old TV remote I have that will be able to do certain tasks on my PC from a distance. I have checked the files/articles here as well as the boards, and while it has some nice information on how IRs work, etc., I haven't quite found what I am looking for that will allow me to construct such a thing. Basically all I need is to hookup an IR Reciever to preferably the serial port (since I only have one parallel port and that's for my printer), and allow my program (written in C or if I have to VB) to know what's being sent in, ie. what signal. That's all I need to be able to do at the moment, if anyone could help me out or point me in the direciton of a good tutorial I'd really appreciate it, thanks,

~WarDekar

Comments

• etlusketlusk Member Posts: 168
    : Hello,
    : I am new to hardware, but am a decent programmer. Anyway, I would like to be able to create a simple setup using an old TV remote I have that will be able to do certain tasks on my PC from a distance. I have checked the files/articles here as well as the boards, and while it has some nice information on how IRs work, etc., I haven't quite found what I am looking for that will allow me to construct such a thing. Basically all I need is to hookup an IR Reciever to preferably the serial port (since I only have one parallel port and that's for my printer), and allow my program (written in C or if I have to VB) to know what's being sent in, ie. what signal. That's all I need to be able to do at the moment, if anyone could help me out or point me in the direciton of a good tutorial I'd really appreciate it, thanks,
    :
    : ~WarDekar
    :
    One method I have seen is to use a RI send/recieve device from RADIOSHACK.I has a gatable 40kh IR output and a TTL comp reciever LED.
    Search the web for IR REMOTE for more info and circuits. There are at least 3 sites that deal with IR remote.
    Another way may be to use a BIdirectional ANALOG switch to short the pads on a Universal remote. The ParPORT is your best bet for that kind of control.

ET
  • Shawn CarterShawn Carter Member Posts: 0

______ || http://forcoder.org || free ebooks and video tutorials about / PHP Ruby Visual Basic C# PL/SQL C Assembly JavaScript Objective-C Java Swift Delphi C++ Visual Basic .NET MATLAB Python Perl Go R Scratch Apex ML Transact-SQL Clojure Logo Ada Dart Crystal FoxPro VBScript D Erlang F# Scala LabVIEW Alice SAS ABAP Lua Fortran Rust Prolog COBOL Hack Bash Lisp Julia Awk Scheme Kotlin / __