NT "Hot Key" - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

NT "Hot Key"

I run virtual Dos Boxes across a network. My Autoexec.nt

logs me into many servers. I would like to assign a

"hot key" (i.e. ALT + P) that would type my password for

me. Can I do this?

Comments

• I wrote an app that does something like that once, types a certain text to where the caret is, for that i used the keybd_event API(), straight forward.

Now the hard part, keeping the keyboard focus in the old app when a task switch occurs, my app was on 95/98 only so i used a timer and the ThreadWalk API from the toolhelp sdk, AttachThreadInput() to every thread so that WM_SETFOCUS would have the correct hWnd in wParam (old focus) and not NULL. It's a lousy technique and I'm sure there are better ways! But I hope I atleast showed you of how NOT to do it :)

Good luck

• WM_ACTIVATEAPP has the thread losing the focus id in its LPARAM, so you might forget the timer and do something like this:

case WM_ACTIVATEAPP:

AttachThreadInput(GetCurrentThreadId(), lParam, (BOOL) wParam );

return( 0 );

case WM_SETFOCUS:

SetFocus((HWND)wParam);

keybd_event(....);

return( 0 );

Havent tried this but might actually work!