Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

shell to a windows application from DOS

gkyriakgkyriak Member Posts: 3

Hi!

I am trying to shell to a windows application and send start up parameters to it.

Is it possible to be done?

Thanks for your help

Comments

• billywm664billywm664 Member Posts: 176
    Yes. It's exactly the same as SHELLing to anything else.
    You have to be in windows while runnning DOS to do it, of course.

:
    : Hi!
    :
    : I am trying to shell to a windows application and send start up parameters to it.
    :
    : Is it possible to be done?
    :
    : Thanks for your help
    :

• gkyriakgkyriak Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for replying to my post.

I tried it and worked with only one problem. After finishing the windows application the DOS program continues running but you can not see it since you are in the windows enviroment. You need manually to select the dos window. (I do not run DOS from a window, the PC switches form windows to DOS)

: Yes. It's exactly the same as SHELLing to anything else.
    : You have to be in windows while runnning DOS to do it, of course.
    :
    :
    : :
    : : Hi!
    : : I am trying to shell to a windows application and send start up parameters to it.
    : : Is it possible to be done?
    : : Thanks for your help
    :
    :

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Member Posts: 3,948
    : Thanks for replying to my post.
    :
    : I tried it and worked with only one problem. After finishing the windows application the DOS program continues running but you can not see it since you are in the windows enviroment. You need manually to select the dos window. (I do not run DOS from a window, the PC switches form windows to DOS)
    :

That's just windows. Unless you modify the windows' app to return focus to your app when it is finished, you're pretty much screwed.
  • Bona_Fide_QBona_Fide_Q Member Posts: 17
    : : Thanks for replying to my post.
    : : I tried it and worked with only one problem. After finishing the windows application the DOS program continues running but you can not see it since you are in the windows enviroment. You need manually to select the dos window. (I do not run DOS from a window, the PC switches form windows to DOS)
    :
    : That's just windows. Unless you modify the windows' app to return focus to your app when it is finished, you're pretty much screwed.
    :
    Another interesting thing you can do with the SHELL command is open Windows apps with it. Not exactly SHELLing to them, but I was using a SHELL command in one of my programs, and experimentally opened WinAmp. It worked! I do wish there was an easier way to get it to route [sp?] back to your program, tho...

Webmaster Jordan
  • Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,624 ✭✭

| http://forcoder.org | free video tutorials and ebooks about / Visual Basic, Go, Assembly, Delphi, C, C#, Swift, Visual Basic .NET, MATLAB, JavaScript, Perl, Scratch, Java, PHP, C++, PL/SQL, Ruby, Python, R, Objective-C D, LabVIEW, Hack, Ada, ABAP, Awk, SAS, Lisp, Rust, Apex, COBOL, Scala, F#, Transact-SQL, Fortran, Prolog, Crystal, Clojure, Erlang, VBScript, FoxPro, Kotlin, Logo, Scheme, Dart, Lua, ML, Bash, Julia, Alice / ____________