Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

Run as service problems

seanaseana Posts: 4Member
Hi

I have written a VB6 application that I need to have run as a service. I have gone through all of the SRVANY procedures and the application appears in the service list. However when I try to start it, the program's icon appears in the system tray, but the service start dialogue eventually reports that it didn't respond in a timely fashion. The Event Viewer shows "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the service to connect." The icon in the system tray then disappears. I can run the program directly fine.

Do I need to include some kind of link back to the OS to inform it that the service is running?

I am a complete novice with VB, so it will have to be words of one syllable please!

TIA

Sean

Comments

• tsagldtsagld Posts: 621Member
    Though I am not a VB-guru, I know that it is a pain to get a vb-program running as a service. At work, we have to use an externally built (by MS I believe) OCX that allows to configure the app appropriately, but even that gives us many problems. So many even, that we decided not to build any more services in VB. Instead, we use C. Using C for services is extremely easy.

: Hi
    :
    : I have written a VB6 application that I need to have run as a service. I have gone through all of the SRVANY procedures and the application appears in the service list. However when I try to start it, the program's icon appears in the system tray, but the service start dialogue eventually reports that it didn't respond in a timely fashion. The Event Viewer shows "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the service to connect." The icon in the system tray then disappears. I can run the program directly fine.
    :
    : Do I need to include some kind of link back to the OS to inform it that the service is running?
    :
    : I am a complete novice with VB, so it will have to be words of one syllable please!
    :
    : TIA
    :
    : Sean
    :

• seanaseana Posts: 4Member
    Thanks for your reply. The problem I have is that I have no choice for this app :-( - can you remember the OCX you used?

: Though I am not a VB-guru, I know that it is a pain to get a vb-program running as a service. At work, we have to use an externally built (by MS I believe) OCX that allows to configure the app appropriately, but even that gives us many problems. So many even, that we decided not to build any more services in VB. Instead, we use C. Using C for services is extremely easy.
    :
    : : Hi
    : :
    : : I have written a VB6 application that I need to have run as a service. I have gone through all of the SRVANY procedures and the application appears in the service list. However when I try to start it, the program's icon appears in the system tray, but the service start dialogue eventually reports that it didn't respond in a timely fashion. The Event Viewer shows "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the service to connect." The icon in the system tray then disappears. I can run the program directly fine.
    : : Do I need to include some kind of link back to the OS to inform it that the service is running?
    : : I am a complete novice with VB, so it will have to be words of one syllable please!
    : : TIA
    : : Sean
    :
    :

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : Thanks for your reply. The problem I have is that I have no choice for this app :-( - can you remember the OCX you used?
    :

Search www.microsoft.com for it. I'd search for "service" and maybe NT and/or VB.

Win9x supports services just enough for them to run and that's about it. NT is where services reign, but a service can't be written in VB without external help. Apparently, this ocx is one method. The method I'd heard of was an app on the NT system that can be configured to run your app as a sevice.
  • seanaseana Posts: 4Member
    Found it! This worked a treat - thanks.

Sean

: : Thanks for your reply. The problem I have is that I have no choice for this app :-( - can you remember the OCX you used?
    :
    : Search www.microsoft.com for it. I'd search for "service" and maybe NT and/or VB.
    :
    : Win9x supports services just enough for them to run and that's about it. NT is where services reign, but a service can't be written in VB without external help. Apparently, this ocx is one method. The method I'd heard of was an app on the NT system that can be configured to run your app as a sevice.
    :