gwbasic and Visual Basic - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

gwbasic and Visual Basic

stankostanko Posts: 4Member
Hi, I have:

GW-BASIC 3.23
(C) Copyright Microsoft 1983,1984,1985,1986,1987,1988
programs.

I would like to "update" them into the Visual Basic. I mean, can I open and compile Gwbasic programs with Visual Basic? I don't use database in Gwbasic, I write the files myself, and I'm interesting may I develope that same work without database in Visual Basic? May I work with files in Visual Basic as I used to in Gwbasic? May you tell which book is good for learning Visual Basic? Thank you very much.

Stanko Nikolic.
snikolic@infosky.net

Comments

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Posts: 3,948Member
    : Hi, I have:
    :
    : GW-BASIC 3.23
    : (C) Copyright Microsoft 1983,1984,1985,1986,1987,1988
    : programs.
    :
    : I would like to "update" them into the Visual Basic. I mean, can I open and compile Gwbasic programs with Visual Basic? I don't use database in Gwbasic, I write the files myself, and I'm interesting may I develope that same work without database in Visual Basic? May I work with files in Visual Basic as I used to in Gwbasic? May you tell which book is good for learning Visual Basic? Thank you very much.
    :
    : Stanko Nikolic.
    : snikolic@infosky.net
    :
    :

If I remember GW-BASIC well enough, you can handle files in VB in the same way. However, VB has a LOT more power available when it comes to working with files. Virtually every command not dealing with the screen (PRINT, CLS, LOCATE, VTAB, HTAB) will work the same way in VB as it did in GWB.

(Note that I don't remember which version of Basic some of those commands were for.)