Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Security Project

ok, I have this project I am working on, and I could use a little help, if anyone is willing. Some background first.
What I am doing is modeling a prison and its security system. There is actually a physical model for the prison. There are various circuits in the model that indicate if a security point has been breached. For example if the fence is touched then the circuit monitoring the fence will send a signal. I want the signal to be sent to a serial interface to a computer, and this is where I am stuck. If the circuit sends a high bit to the serial port when the fence is breached.. how do I read from the serial port to determine this has happened? Can you send a single bit to the serial port.. if its high then you have a security breach, if its low everything is fine? Any tutorials on reading from the serial port would be great.

Comments

• anthonyanthony Member Posts: 36
    : ok, I have this project I am working on, and I could use a little help, if anyone is willing. Some background first.
    : What I am doing is modeling a prison and its security system. There is actually a physical model for the prison. There are various circuits in the model that indicate if a security point has been breached. For example if the fence is touched then the circuit monitoring the fence will send a signal. I want the signal to be sent to a serial interface to a computer, and this is where I am stuck. If the circuit sends a high bit to the serial port when the fence is breached.. how do I read from the serial port to determine this has happened? Can you send a single bit to the serial port.. if it’s high then you have a security breach, if its low everything is fine? Any tutorials on reading from the serial port would be great.
    :
    :
    Hi

To send information over a serial port you would have to use a UART (universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter) or a microcontroller with a UART built in.
    The UART is a chip that will take your parallel data (usualy 1 byte wide) and send it in a serial bit stream over your serial cable ,at the other end (your PC's serial port) a UART there will convert it back into parallel data that your can read using a program.

I don't know what knowledge of electronics or programming you have but to do what you want would require a pretty high level of both.
    There is lot of information out there about reading data from you serial port using a programming language like C,C++,java,Visual basic ect...

I would suggest using a microcontroler with built in UART like a PIC to send the data you want to somthing like the windows program Hyper terminal ,this way you dont have to worry about the PC programming and focus just on the PIC programming side ,there is ton's of information about this on the net.

Cheers
    Anthony

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

_______ ( http://forcoder.org ) free video tutorials and ebooks about { R, Delphi, PL/SQL, Objective-C, Python, C++, Swift, Assembly, Java, MATLAB, C, C#, Perl, Go, PHP, Visual Basic .NET, Visual Basic, Scratch, Ruby, JavaScript Logo, Awk, Lisp, Lua, ML, Crystal, Ada, F#, Julia, SAS, LabVIEW, Rust, Alice, Scala, Fortran, Bash, Clojure, Dart, Apex, Transact-SQL, Kotlin, FoxPro, ABAP, Prolog, Hack, COBOL, D, Scheme, Erlang, VBScript } _____________