Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Categories

We have migrated to a new platform! Please note that you will need to reset your password to log in (your credentials are still in-tact though). Please contact lee@programmersheaven.com if you have questions.
Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

recover hidden file

nightsurfernightsurfer Posts: 272Member
I have a file that was removed from the directory listing somehow. It is still on the disk, since when I check the space available, it shows 19K used, which is the size of the file. So my question is, is there any way that I can retrieve that file? I can't "see" it under any viewer (dir in DOS, or opening the disk in windows). Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Your most important program will require more memory and processing power than you have.

Comments

• slicer69slicer69 Posts: 272Member
    Find a friend that has Norton disk utils. Or find a copy of DOS 6.2 (which has undelete).
    Or, if it is just hidden (not deleted), try "attrib -r *.*"
    Also, the folks at freedos.org might be able to help you.

Jesse

: I have a file that was removed from the directory listing somehow. It is still on the disk, since when I check the space available, it shows 19K used, which is the size of the file. So my question is, is there any way that I can retrieve that file? I can't "see" it under any viewer (dir in DOS, or opening the disk in windows). Any suggestions are welcome.
    :
    : Thanks in advance.
    :
    :
    : Your most important program will require more memory and processing power than you have.
    :

• ASHLEY4ASHLEY4 Posts: 254Member
    : I have a file that was removed from the directory listing somehow. It is still on the disk, since when I check the space available, it shows 19K used, which is the size of the file. So my question is, is there any way that I can retrieve that file? I can't "see" it under any viewer (dir in DOS, or opening the disk in windows). Any suggestions are welcome.
    :
    : Thanks in advance.
    :
    :
    : Your most important program will require more memory and processing power than you have.
    :
    Use a HEX editer there are many available on the net, the file will still be on the drive, its like an index in a book , if you take the name out of the index you wont be able to find the chappter but it is still there .

The problem is you could delete it by putting another program on your drive , if you get hold of a HEX editer and set it to search the drive that your file is on then you have to do a word search asuming that it is a text document, if it is a exe or com file it will be more difficult.
    But one way of doing it is to take the first letter of the file name and do a search you maybe lucky and find it, because in some cases the name in the index the first letter is removed when you delete it why this happens i am not sure , if you find it you have to put the letter back .

If you goto any site on cracking you should beable to get the editer and tutors.
    I hope that this is of some help.

• blipblip Posts: 756Member
    uh, try dir/a to see it and use attrib filename.ext -r -s -h to remove all offending attributes (replace filename.ext with the file's filename).
  • melissa_may1melissa_may1 Posts: 937Member
    : But one way of doing it is to take the first letter of the file name and do a search you maybe lucky and find it, because in some cases the name in the index the first letter is removed when you delete it why this happens i am not sure , if you find it you have to put the letter back .

This won't work if the file's been deleted. DOS "deletes" a file by changing the first character of the filename to a code that, to DOS, means "This file is deleted", and reclaiming the space by marking the FAT entries for that file as unused. You "undelete" the file by changing the first character of that directory entry to the original character, or any other valid letter or number.

To complete the undelete, you must also mark the FAT so that the file's disk space is marked as used. The simplest way is to use DOS 6.x "undelete" command, as mentioned in a previous post.

Another way is to use a disk editor, change the first character of the file, and then copy the file to a floppy. You can then change the first character back to the "deleted" code, and not have to mess with the FAT.

That said, it looks like you either have a "hidden" file ("Attrib -h -s filename" would fix it), or the computer forze/rebooted in the process of deleting the file, in which case the methods described above should work.

DO NOT run chkdsk, until the file has been recovered, nor use the DOS "Recover" command EVER!

[purple]Melissa[/purple]