Hits on a link (with db) - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Hits on a link (with db)

Hi!
I was wondering if someone can help me with something for my site.
I am trying to write a script that counts how many visitors have clicked on a specific link (hit) using a access database (one column for the link name and another for the counter), so far without success... :-(
can someone please tell me how it can be done?
thanks!

Comments

• bagles1bagles1 Posts: 54Member
    Well lets give it a shot. First I would use only page names. This is because if you pass anything through the querystring that is going to give you a different address, plus the relative path is really irrelevant to your goal. So column 1 will be "Page_Name" also remember that good coding practices should keep a page name all one word using an underscore to fill in where a space would be. This eliminates the need for encoding/decoding urls or parsing out the encoding. Column 2 will be "Page_Count" and call the table "Page". Ok so now you have the Database layout, now we need the code to count it, so here it is.
    <%
    ' First we need to determine which page we are on.
    strRelPath = Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")
    intPosition = inStrRev(strRelPath, "/")
    if intPosition > 0 then
    strPageName = mid(strRelPath, intPosition + 1, len(strRelPath)-(4 + intPosition))
    end if
    ' Now lets update the database.
    ' here is the sql... the rest is up to you.
    strDSN = "YOUR CONNECTION STRING HERE"
    set objConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    objConnection.Open strDSN
    strSQL = "UPDATE page SET page_count = (SELECT MAX(page_count) + 1 FROM page) WHERE page_name = '" & strPageName & "'"
    objConnection.Execute(strSQL)
    objConnection.Close
    set objConnection = nothing
    'Your done. Just put this on all your asp pages and you have a tracking system. :o)
    %>

-Bagles1

PS. I don't have Access only SQL Server so you might need a tweak here and there. (mostly changing the single quotes to double quotes) but try it as is first and make sure to put the proper connection string in there.

: Hi!
    : I was wondering if someone can help me with something for my site.
    : I am trying to write a script that counts how many visitors have clicked on a specific link (hit) using a access database (one column for the link name and another for the counter), so far without success... :-(
    : can someone please tell me how it can be done?
    : thanks!
    :

• KingOfTheWorldKingOfTheWorld Posts: 44Member
    what should I put here:
    strDSN = "YOUR CONNECTION STRING HERE" ?

: Well lets give it a shot. First I would use only page names. This is because if you pass anything through the querystring that is going to give you a different address, plus the relative path is really irrelevant to your goal. So column 1 will be "Page_Name" also remember that good coding practices should keep a page name all one word using an underscore to fill in where a space would be. This eliminates the need for encoding/decoding urls or parsing out the encoding. Column 2 will be "Page_Count" and call the table "Page". Ok so now you have the Database layout, now we need the code to count it, so here it is.
    : <%
    : ' First we need to determine which page we are on.
    : strRelPath = Request.ServerVariables("PATH_INFO")
    : intPosition = inStrRev(strRelPath, "/")
    : if intPosition > 0 then
    : strPageName = mid(strRelPath, intPosition + 1, len(strRelPath)-(4 + intPosition))
    : end if
    : ' Now lets update the database.
    : ' here is the sql... the rest is up to you.
    : strDSN = "YOUR CONNECTION STRING HERE"
    : set objConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    : objConnection.Open strDSN
    : strSQL = "UPDATE page SET page_count = (SELECT MAX(page_count) + 1 FROM page) WHERE page_name = '" & strPageName & "'"
    : objConnection.Execute(strSQL)
    : objConnection.Close
    : set objConnection = nothing
    : 'Your done. Just put this on all your asp pages and you have a tracking system. :o)
    : %>
    :
    : -Bagles1
    :
    : PS. I don't have Access only SQL Server so you might need a tweak here and there. (mostly changing the single quotes to double quotes) but try it as is first and make sure to put the proper connection string in there.
    :
    :
    : : Hi!
    : : I was wondering if someone can help me with something for my site.
    : : I am trying to write a script that counts how many visitors have clicked on a specific link (hit) using a access database (one column for the link name and another for the counter), so far without success... :-(
    : : can someone please tell me how it can be done?
    : : thanks!
    : :
    :
    :

• StPatrickStPatrick Posts: 76Member
    : what should I put here:
    : strDSN = "YOUR CONNECTION STRING HERE" ?

Your connection string, how you connect to database, like "DSN=MyDSN" or "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=c:dbmydatabase.mdb"

[b][italic]Philip Patrick[/italic][/b]
    [b]Home page[/b]: http://www.saintopatrick.com
    [size=1][italic]"Two beer or not two beer?"[/italic] [b]Shakesbeer[/b][/size]

• KingOfTheWorldKingOfTheWorld Posts: 44Member
    It counts when the user is already in the page.
    But what if I want to count how many user have downloaded
    a file (*.zip)? It is different. How can I do This?
  • _Quentin_Quentin Posts: 10Member
    : It counts when the user is already in the page.
    : But what if I want to count how many user have downloaded
    : a file (*.zip)? It is different. How can I do This?
    :

i always do this with a file called "redirect.asp" (opened in a new window most times)

so you list your links and instead of using href="http://something" you use href="redirect.asp?id=3"

redirect.asp gets the id and looks whetere this id is in the database. if a row has been found you update the column VISITS and then you do a response.redirect(filename)

performance hint: save the filename to redirect in a variable instead of writing response.redirect recordset.fields("filename")

after updating the recordset you have to close the connection and the recordset and destroy the objects. for your server's health ;) then you can do the redirect...

hope that helps ;)