Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

C++ and VC++

Hi,

What book recommends me to learn anyone(or both) of these leguajes?
I know, if i learn C++, VC++ is some kind of upgrade but anyway...

Thanks.
(My english is poor,sorry)

Comments

• Try searching at http://www.google.com/ with the search word "C/C++ tutorials"

[hr][size=1]Message from above:
    Damn, my hair is grey![/size]

• SamuraiSamurai Member Posts: 29
    Thanks for the information!

I know, there are a lot of tutorials about this lenguaje on the web, but i need a reference book.

: Try searching at http://www.google.com/ with the search word "C/C++ tutorials"
  • dartsmandartsman Member Posts: 88
    I bought Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours and it has a good amount of stuff on C++. It was the Starter Kit so I got Dev C++, DJGPP C++ Copiler all of the code in the book is on the CD. I found that is was a good book to get (If you want to learn C++).

Also I am looking for Tricks of the Game Programming Gurus the book or online (free download) version with disk and all o the stuff. If you know of a place where I can buy it or get a new copy of it please tell me. I know that it has gone out off print but I hope that there are still some out there.
  • OK, I read C++ Programming by Stephen Prata (I don't know if I spelled his name correctly). It is a very good book for reference. (Hope this helps)

[hr][size=1]Message from above:
    Damn, my hair is grey![/size]

Thanks both (dartsman and Gamekeeper) for you answer, this helps me a lot.

Bye.
  • AnthonyWSAnthonyWS Member Posts: 2
    I used Problem Solving in C++ by Angela Shiflet as my first C++ book, and I still use it as a reference. It is a college level text book and will come with that price tag.

-Anthony
    "Leave No Man Behind"

• InterGeekInterGeek Member Posts: 4
    Actually, it sounds funny, but with all of the languages I started on, I really enjoyed the dummies books. I mean, if you are REALLY starting fresh, these books start from the beginning in order for you to develop theoretical understanding for programming. After that, I normally buy Wrox books for more advanced theory, and then progress from there.

- InterGeek

We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams. Willy Wonka

• White RhinoWhite Rhino Member Posts: 5
    The book I basicly learned from was "C++ The Complete Reference by Herbert Schildt. It tought me what I thought other books were supose to teach me, the language. Not an exelent practice book but will teach what most other authers leave out. Herbert Schilts has also written other books with the beginner in mind that offers more code examples. But using C++ the complete reference with a couple good tutorials or even a beginners guide will get you going on the right track. VC++ is not as much an upgrade but a development environment specificly for but not limited to windows applicatons.

There are 3 environments I am using right now, VC++6, VC++.net, and free environment DevC++ by bloodshed with the free borland c++ builder 5.5 compiler(DevC++ and Borlands C++ builder 5.5 are totaly free and are great).
    : There are 3 environments I am using right now, VC++6, VC++.net, and free environment DevC++ by bloodshed with the free borland c++ builder 5.5 compiler(DevC++ and Borlands C++ builder 5.5 are totaly free and are great).
    :

But, as far as i know, to run a program made in VC++.net you need the Microsoft .net framework runtime installed or i'm wrong?
  • White RhinoWhite Rhino Member Posts: 5
    [b][red]This message was edited by White Rhino at 2002-10-13 10:6:39[/red][/b][hr]
    : But, as far as i know, to run a program made in VC++.net you need the Microsoft .net framework runtime installed or i'm wrong?
    :

I hava made several programs with XP pro with .net that have ran on windows 98 se without .net platform. To my understanding (and I may be wrong but have not reached this problem yet) you only need the .net platform if you use parts of the platform in your code. Leaving .net specifics out of you code leaves you free from .net framwork.