I haven't had the chance on starting to program in any kind of BASIC lang. yet. And, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to start off and where? I have been searching around on the message board a little and have noticed that there are many different types of BASIC. For a little background knowledge, I have only used HTML and Turbo PASCAL in the past.

Comments

• IBasic is good and contains a great user's guide arranged as a tutorial. You can find it at http://www.pyxia.com and on this site as well

: I haven't had the chance on starting to program in any kind of BASIC lang. yet. And, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to start off and where? I have been searching around on the message board a little and have noticed that there are many different types of BASIC. For a little background knowledge, I have only used HTML and Turbo PASCAL in the past.
    :

• The problem with ibasic is you have to pay for it. I would suggest starting with QuickBasic 4.5. Even though it is not a freeware program, microsoft have stopped selling it and you can download it off the net easily. QuickBasic is a simple to learn language and there is actually quite a large Qb comunity. I would suggest that you download Qb 4.5 and find some tuts (there are tons) to start to learn. If you ever get stuck there a stack of people waiting to help. The QbasicNews.com message board is active with posts every day!

P.S Qb 4.5 can compile your code into an exe
  • I haven't had the chance on starting to program in any kind of BASIC lang. yet. And, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to start off and where?

If you're wanting a Dos BASIC, then QB4.5
    is good to start with. Then, if you like the
    languge and can spare about $100, you should
    try PowerBASIC's PBDos3.5. It makes fast,
    compact, stand-alone EXE's and supports inline
    asm for speeding up critical routines. It also
    allows use of up to 32MB of RAM. They make a
    Win32 compiler too (PBDLL6.1), with every great
    feature you could want, except you'd probably
    want to use one of the free GUI builders to
    design windows and dialogs, since PBDLL requires
    hand coding for these.
    TB

• Don't forget that QBasic v1.1 has been included in all versions of DOS. It's on the CD of most versions of Windows, though it is not loaded by default, it can be found in the directory /OTHER/OLDDOS along with the DOS helpfile.

I use QBasic 1.1, one disadvantage it has from other versions is that it can't be compiled, an advantage is that it's free and you've probably already got a copy of it.

Ray