WORD WRAP ALGORITHM - Programmers Heaven

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Welcome to the new platform of Programmer's Heaven! We apologize for the inconvenience caused, if you visited us from a broken link of the previous version. The main reason to move to a new platform is to provide more effective and collaborative experience to you all. Please feel free to experience the new platform and use its exciting features. Contact us for any issue that you need to get clarified. We are more than happy to help you.

WORD WRAP ALGORITHM

I am in need of a word wrap algorithm that takes a string and returns substrings of a certain length

Suppose I have a field that I want to put text into -- now this field is only 10 characters wide but it is 20 characters tall....

if I have 28 characters as follows

"my dog skip has a broken leg"
"my cats have really bad ears"
"abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz a"

and I want to put it into my 10x20 field ( I want to do wordwrapping so that the field appears as such:
----------
my dog
skip has a
broken leg

my cats
have
really bad
ears

abcdefghij
klmnopqrst
uvwxyz a

Does anyone know of any algorithm to do such a thing ....

Comments

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 180Member
    : I am in need of a word wrap algorithm that takes a string and returns substrings of a certain length
    :
    :
    : Suppose I have a field that I want to put text into -- now this field is only 10 characters wide but it is 20 characters tall....
    :
    : if I have 28 characters as follows
    :
    : "my dog skip has a broken leg"
    : "my cats have really bad ears"
    : "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz a"
    :
    : and I want to put it into my 10x20 field ( I want to do wordwrapping so that the field appears as such:
    : 1234567890
    : ----------
    : my dog
    : skip has a
    : broken leg
    :
    : my cats
    : have
    : really bad
    : ears
    :
    : abcdefghij
    : klmnopqrst
    : uvwxyz a
    :
    : Does anyone know of any algorithm to do such a thing ....
    :

its not hard - just use a while loop to scan the original string one char at a time until you hit the end. inside the loop build a word string until you hit whitespace. when you do, compare the length of the word against how much room you have left and decide where to output that word. then you just need some exception handling like words that are longer than the line width and decide if you want hyphens or something to break them up.

i dont like to post code, i would be more fun if you figured it out yourself :)