Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Reverse Engineering?

Hi again folks,

Okay so I got really bored the other day, and decided to open my good old '89 gameboy... And I got this really stupid idea which is to learn about reverse engineering... I don't even know if it has anything to do with programming but hell, I'm a newbie, and I'm NOT ashamed about it ;-) So anyway, what is Reverse Engineering? What do I need? And blah blah blah...

Thanks for your help anyway ;-)

Comments

• Haroldo_o_pHaroldo_o_p Member Posts: 79
    : Hi again folks,
    :
    : Okay so I got really bored the other day, and decided to open my good old '89 gameboy... And I got this really stupid idea which is to learn about reverse engineering... I don't even know if it has anything to do with programming but hell, I'm a newbie, and I'm NOT ashamed about it ;-) So anyway, what is Reverse Engineering? What do I need? And blah blah blah...
    :
    : Thanks for your help anyway ;-)
    :

Okay... Reverse engineering could be described as a technique of learning how a certain program works, in order to make a similar one.
    Generally, reverse engineering involves disassembling/debugging the program, studying the program flow, and then, knowing how it works, start coding your own program.

To make reverse engineering, you'll need:
    - Assembly language knowledge;
    - Knowledge about the hardware where the program is supposed to run (if applicable);
    - Knowledge about the internal workings of the operational system where the program is supposed to run (if applicable);
    - A disassembler and/or a debugger;
    - LOTS of patience (assembly programs are BIG!).

Well, I hope to have properly answered your question. ;-)

• Chris BrownChris Brown USAMember Posts: 4,496 ✭✭

{ http://forcoder.org } free ebooks and video tutorials about | MATLAB, Ruby, Java, Scratch, Visual Basic .NET, Swift, Visual Basic, Delphi, C, JavaScript, C++, Objective-C, Go, Perl, PHP, C#, Python, Assembly, R, PL/SQL VBScript, Bash, COBOL, ABAP, Rust, Clojure, F#, LabVIEW, Apex, Logo, Erlang, Alice, Hack, Transact-SQL, ML, Kotlin, Lisp, FoxPro, Prolog, Julia, Dart, Scala, D, Fortran, Crystal, Awk, Lua, Ada, Scheme, SAS | _____