Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

I used to get loggin in automatically when coming here from Hotmail

Hi!

I used to get loggin in automatically when coming here from Hotmail. Now, I have to go to the home page, login page, and diddle around until it finally finds the cookie.

Can you still do an automatic login so that it happens even if I go directly to a particular message, without starting from home?

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

Comments

• KDivad LeahcimKDivad Leahcim Member Posts: 3,948
    : Hi!
    :
    : I used to get loggin in automatically when coming here from Hotmail. Now, I have to go to the home page, login page, and diddle around until it finally finds the cookie.
    :
    : Can you still do an automatic login so that it happens even if I go directly to a particular message, without starting from home?
    :
    :
    :
    :
    : [purple]Melissa[/purple]
    :

Don't know why you're having trouble there, I get logged in automatically without a problem.
  • melissa_may1melissa_may1 Member Posts: 937
    : : Hi!
    : :
    : : I used to get logged in automatically when coming here from Hotmail. Now, I have to go to the home page, login page, and diddle around until it finally finds the cookie.
    : : Can you still do an automatic login so that it happens even if I go directly to a particular message, without starting from home?
    : : [purple]Melissa[/purple]
    :
    : Don't know why you're having trouble there, I get logged in automatically without a problem.
    :

It has to do with how Hotmail redirects a link in an e-mail message. It opens a new IE window, and performs the redirect through Hotmail. It does not simply send the new IE instance the target URL. It actually redirects you through Hotmail, so that "You are visiting a site outside of Hotmail. To return to Hotmail, close this browser window." is in a window at the top of the screen.

Formerly, PH was still able to handle this, find the login cookie, and log me in. Now, however, it does not. So, I have to put 'http://www.programmersheaven.com' in IE to get to the PH home page, so it will log me in. Then I have to navigate to the actual message that I was pointed to in my e-mail. Way too much clicking!

Of course, I could still come in from Hotmail, and manually log in, but I'd rather not have to.

I bet that the "old" PH didn't care what IP address you were coming from, but "new" PH does, and therefore does not recognize me when I seem to be coming from the Hotmail IP instead of my own.

One side advantage of clicking through Hotmail e-mail messages is that the site pointed to in the e-mail does not see my actual IP address, but sees me as coming from the Hotmail IP (64.4.14.250)

I bet if Webmaster checks his logs, he'll see a ton of hits from 64.4.14.250, far higher than any other IP (that is if many PH users are also Hotmail users).

Hope this makes sense...

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• WEBMASTERWEBMASTER Member Posts: 549
    I will check this out why you got problems, I have no idea why it doesn't work. I have not added any "limitations" just because you are coming from Hotmail.

But I will check it out.

[blue][italic][b]/WEBMASTER[/b][/italic][/blue]

: I will check this out why you got problems, I have no idea why it doesn't work. I have not added any "limitations" just because you are coming from Hotmail.
    :
    : But I will check it out.
    :
    :
    : [blue][italic][b]/WEBMASTER[/b][/italic][/blue]
    :
    :
    Hi!

This is still happening - no auto login if I come in from Hotmail.
    Any progress on the no auto-login from Hotmail situation?

Further, today I got in by going to the main page (I had to type "www.programmersheaven.com" to get there)

I did not get auto login. No matter what I tried, no auto login!

So, I had to dig out my password and manually log in. Is this another auto-login issue?

[purple]Melissa[/purple]

• WEBMASTERWEBMASTER Member Posts: 549
    I think I have sorted out the autologin issue once and for all now.

If you create a auto-login cookie when you enter the site using
    the URL http://www.programmersheaven.com/Some pathXXXXXX
    then that autologin works just fine.

But if you later login to the site using the IP instead of the
    full domain-name , like
    http://63.229.91.35/community/msgboard/read.asp?Board=28&MsgID=103369
    (This style of URL that I used in the notifications)

Then that will not work because 63.229.91.35 can't access the cookies
    generated under the domain programmersheaven.com and the other
    way around.

So, basically you have to make a second auto-login proceedure under
    the http://63.229.91.35 adress to get full auto-login capability
    on both adresses.

But I will stop using the 63.229.91.35 adress in the newsletter/
    notifications , so this won't be a issue in the future.

Try it out and it should work now.

[blue][italic][b]/WEBMASTER[/b][/italic][/blue]

It works!

I came in through Hotmail, re-did the auto-login, then backed out and re-tried Hotmail. It works!

Thanks for the tip.

[purple]Melissa[/purple]