Athlon XP oc

Im going to buy a new PC. Im looking at an athlon xp 1700+ or similar and wanted to know which cpu/motherboard/ram is best for overclocking?

Comments

• : Im going to buy a new PC. Im looking at an athlon xp 1700+ or similar and wanted to know which cpu/motherboard/ram is best for overclocking?
    : Hello! Check with http://www6.tomshardware.com/ for a vast amount of information regarding CPU cooling and overclocking. I've been overclocking ASUS motherboards for several years without failure. Plenty of cooling is required to prevent premature failure of the cpu and motherboard. Good luck.

• : Im going to buy a new PC. Im looking at an athlon xp 1700+ or similar and wanted to know which cpu/motherboard/ram is best for overclocking?
    :

Are you going to buy the PC or build it? My motherboard and CPU are as follows:

Motherboard: Epox 8KHA+
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1600+

I overclocked my XP from 1.4 to 1.63. I definitely suggest going Epox, but they have a newer model out (newer than my 8KHA+). They have the 8K3A. I hear this might be a little better. I don't know from first-hand experience, though. You could also go Abit or Asus. They are very good mobos.

For RAM, I have 256M of Crucial DDR. It's holding 310MHz FSB very well and is stable. But, you have to take ALL of your hardware into account when you overclock. What video card? HDD (I suggest Western Digital)? And what wattage for the PSU? Cooling system for an overclocked machine is one of THE biggest things to take into account. I have 4 x 80mm Sunon High Speeds in my case (not counting the PSU fan, GPU fan, and the HSF). COOLING IS VERY, VERY BIG!!!!

I am a big-time overclocker so with any questions just reply or you can also e-mail me about questions or anything :D

ASMcat

• : : Im going to buy a new PC. Im looking at an athlon xp 1700+ or similar and wanted to know which cpu/motherboard/ram is best for overclocking?
    : :
    :
    : Are you going to buy the PC or build it? My motherboard and CPU are as follows:
    :
    : Motherboard: Epox 8KHA+
    : CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1600+
    :
    : I overclocked my XP from 1.4 to 1.63. I definitely suggest going Epox, but they have a newer model out (newer than my 8KHA+). They have the 8K3A. I hear this might be a little better. I don't know from first-hand experience, though. You could also go Abit or Asus. They are very good mobos.
    :
    : For RAM, I have 256M of Crucial DDR. It's holding 310MHz FSB very well and is stable. But, you have to take ALL of your hardware into account when you overclock. What video card? HDD (I suggest Western Digital)? And what wattage for the PSU? Cooling system for an overclocked machine is one of THE biggest things to take into account. I have 4 x 80mm Sunon High Speeds in my case (not counting the PSU fan, GPU fan, and the HSF). COOLING IS VERY, VERY BIG!!!!
    :
    : I am a big-time overclocker so with any questions just reply or you can also e-mail me about questions or anything :D
    :
    : ASMcat
    :
    :

Thanks for the reply, ive already bought it - AthlonXP 1700+ with Asus KR7 mobo, 512 DDR ram, IBM 40Gb HDD, Radeon 8500 64MB. Ive decided not to overclock it at the moment simply because i wouldnt appreciate the performance increase yet. ill wait until its a couple of years old and am tired with its sluggishness :)

However, i seem to be having troubles with temperature as it is now. the cpu frequenyly gets to 60C without doing much work on a hot day (ambient around 30-35C) and i feel a little uncomfortable with it running this hot. there is only one case fan at the moment sucking air from around the cpu. i bought a second one to blow outside air onto the mobo but its just sooooo damn noisy i ripped it out. any ideas on how i can run it a bit cooler without giving me a headache?
  • : Thanks for the reply, ive already bought it - AthlonXP 1700+ with Asus KR7 mobo, 512 DDR ram, IBM 40Gb HDD, Radeon 8500 64MB. Ive decided not to overclock it at the moment simply because i wouldnt appreciate the performance increase yet. ill wait until its a couple of years old and am tired with its sluggishness :)
    :
    : However, i seem to be having troubles with temperature as it is now. the cpu frequenyly gets to 60C without doing much work on a hot day (ambient around 30-35C) and i feel a little uncomfortable with it running this hot. there is only one case fan at the moment sucking air from around the cpu. i bought a second one to blow outside air onto the mobo but its just sooooo damn noisy i ripped it out. any ideas on how i can run it a bit cooler without giving me a headache?

Hmmmm...if you only have the fan sucking air from the CPU (which is the heatsink fan) than you really do need to put more in. Go to www.sidewindercomputers.com and they have a whole LOAD of fans to buy from. Also, they have this really neat sound room where you can hear what the fans sound like. Also, sound has a rating if you would want to familiarize yourself with that. 60C isn't a good temp for an AMD. That's the time you should start worrying. I would say go with watercooling (a kit or homemade) but you would still have to have a least one 120mm fan and that can get loud. Or, go to sidewindercomputers and find a couple of not-so-loud fans and put those in. The heatsink fan isn't enough to cool the CPU, and even the whole system. You have a really nice computer and you would also have to monitor the system temp (you don't want, especially, the hdd and the video card to get too hot or you could ruin them and/or get data corruption).