Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Oracle version

ChrstinaChrstina Member Posts: 16
Hi

I am trying to connect to an Oracle server using SQL Plus 8.0.
The version of Oracle on the server is only 7. Can this harm the server database?

I also get the ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name, all the time but I am waiting to get another tnsnames file so I can compare.

Thanks.

Comments

• MrEdMrEd Member Posts: 180
    : Hi
    :
    : I am trying to connect to an Oracle server using SQL Plus 8.0.
    : The version of Oracle on the server is only 7. Can this harm the server database?
    :
    : I also get the ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve service name, all the time but I am waiting to get another tnsnames file so I can compare.
    :
    : Thanks.
    :

You cant harm the database by connecting with SQL plus 8 - everything should work fine. The TNS names error is why you cant connect - you need to setup the tnsnames file. Get it from your dba or hack it yourself if you know the machine the database sits on.
  • ChrstinaChrstina Member Posts: 16
    Hi

It worked fine after some changes in the TNS names.

Thanks.

: You cant harm the database by connecting with SQL plus 8 - everything should work fine. The TNS names error is why you cant connect - you need to setup the tnsnames file. Get it from your dba or hack it yourself if you know the machine the database sits on.
    :